So what did you do with your truck today?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old girl is ready for a hart transplant, and the old is buttoned up so can can sit in the weed. I might need a pick to find it next time, when theres a need for it.

You must be registered for see images

And the trans is straped in for the ride.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. 1949 Packard, Custom 8 Sedan

I got married in that car 20 some years ago, and it has not been cared for well since then. Goal is to get it back to good running and driving condition.

You must be registered for see images attach
She looks pretty good, unless that is an older picture.

About 1960 I was a Sophmore in HS, and a guy down the road couple years older than me. His Mom had a 50, and later on his Dad dragged home a 51.
He was in the FFA, (I was too) and had his managery of animals, Chickens, Goats, etc...and his school project, "Herman" his Herford Steer.
We picked up day old drop Calves from the Dairy`s in San Jose for $10, raise them up and take to the Auction.

Later he decides to get into Hogs, "can you believe we hauled a 400lb Bore in the back seat of a 49 2 door Ford?"...Dumb kids.
Ended up with 3 Sows, one had 11, one 13 and the other 15 lil Piglets. Raised them to a good size, and took then to the Auction in style,...in the back seat of the Packard.

I don`t know how he cleaned it up and mom not knowing we did it.
Dang, that ways 63 years ago. :eek:

Goat

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday replaced the Drive Line center support bearing.
Lot smoother now.

Today pulled off the front tires that are down to the Wear Bars, and put on a better set of used tires.
Threw the take off`s in the bed with 2 almost new tires, and headed to Walmart to have them R&R`d. Told them I wasn`t in a hurry, pick them up later in the day.

Got busy to get the good used PNP door panel installed. I had cleaned it up and painted it 2 months ago. I didn`t know at the time, but this P O R N O Red is actually "Canyon Red" (from what I read a while back. (that`s another NO NO word)
I took the door panel down to the Auto Paint store, and from the unfaided inside, and putting info in their special paint Computer, came up with "Aztec Red". Dang near a perfect match, and they put it in Rattle cans for you.

I had already Dymatted the inside the door and the front of it.
But there were these big open hole`s looking at me. HMMM, I need to close those off some how.

I had 4 brand new Nevada License Plates from a buddy. Guess he installed personal ones. IDK.
I cut and formed these to bridge the holes, and fastened them with 1/8" Pop Rivets. Had a few pieces of Dyna Mat and stuck it on the plates.

Clouded up and started to sprinkle, grabbed all my tools and got them in the shop. Well so much for that.

Wife and I headed down to Wally World, by this time 6pm and.. well maybe some one will be there.... nope, all locked up.
Picked up a few things and head home.

I`ll get them first thing in the Morning, Then R&R them onto the front end of the 86, and finish up with the panel.

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's not an IDI but I've been drooling at this truck for a while so I figured I'd stop and look. I can't afford it anyway but it's an 06 550 4wd with the ZF6. Would make a great hauler.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well it's not an IDI but I've been drooling at this truck for a while so I figured I'd stop and look. I can't afford it anyway but it's an 06 550 4wd with the ZF6. Would make a great hauler.

Sending this to a friend of mine who sold his 6.0, ngl wouldn't mind having, if I went camping more. Idi works fine enough.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old girl is ready for a hart transplant, and the old is buttoned up so can can sit in the weed. I might need a pick to find it next time, when theres a need for it.

And the trans is straped in for the ride.

I wasn't going to say anything, but it's just not in my nature; so, the frame is white! Are you going to be like a rolls Royce mechanic and work on your truck in a white jumpsuit and not get dirty too?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my Wheels from Wally World this morning.
Two tires R&R, mount and balance, $52..... $11 mount & $15 to balance. Couple weeks ago, had them balance 2 wheels, and guy didn`t make the tag, so said don`t worry about it....so it even`s out.

Installed the passenger door plastic door panel.
Installed a new inside window wipe, use the 1/8 " Pop rivets, but being too short, pulled through the plastic. Had to drill out the heads to get them out of the Wipe...
Drilled the holes to the next up size, 3/16? I think they are but longer, and used a washer on the back side, and holds them tight.

Bought the door insulation/Moisture barrier,
cut it to fit, used 3M Spray adhesive. Also a bag of the Christmas Tree clips to hold the panel on.

And these little rubber goodies to fit around the Door Handles.
There is a right and a left.

Sprayed some Silicone on the rubber so the handle didn`t catch on the new rubber.

Removed the Bolt that holds handle mechanisim to the door, blue Loc-Titted it, and removed the Handle Bolt and did the same to it for good measure.

Popped the Panel on, got it all secured. Had to run 25 miles to Carson City this evening, and was blown away at how much quieter the cab is.
Now to do the Drivers door, but will have to get in line behind other things on the todo list.

Fueled the truck when I got back home this evening. $4.99.9, OK, $5 a gallon, first time I have had to pay that much. Thanks Joe.
28.336 Gallons...$141.65

Goat

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't going to say anything, but it's just not in my nature; so, the frame is white! Are you going to be like a rolls Royce mechanic and work on your truck in a white jumpsuit and not get dirty too?

Are dangerous thing not brightly colored? I not too bother by it getting dirty and it cleans up well, for having oil and dirt on it for some time. The body is wyte and its lifted, so why not match them but not do everthing as if its camo.

I dont think I would make as a rolls Royce mechanic and neather this old girl, that a tall order too stay that clean.

This is what that half looked like when it was painted some years ago...

And this is where it is now, there is spots showing rust that need tended too. The paint on the frame is more so to keep rust at bay, and not degrade into a pile of dust.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's outrageous! It's also the reason why I bought the tools to dismount and mount tires myself. I also use balance beads for that reason. They've really got people over a barrel on tires these days.
I do my own as well. I've got centrimatics on the tow truck and the dually has nothing, but it's smooth at 55 and 60. I want to do beads in my wife's vehicles. What type do you use?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's outrageous! It's also the reason why I bought the tools to dismount and mount tires myself. I also use balance beads for that reason. They've really got people over a barrel on tires these days.
Yeah I was surprised by the price, most I have ever paid.
Asked the mechanic, what happened to the $10 good old days?
He agreed, but the price is in the Computer, and that`s the way it comes up.

I have the HF Manual one, and on YT is a ton of video`s on modifying one of these. Buy the ready made up graded tools or how to make your own. sure looks slick and simple.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What type do you use?
I use Dyna Beads. I tried Equal Flex(x?) the first time. That was king of easier because you throw the bag and all inside the tire. The issues came when I was having trouble getting the beads to seat. I lost some of the beads and wasn't very impressed. They seemed to work ok, but after that, I prefer the Dyna Beads.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cleaned my intake and exhaust valves with paper towels :D

Attachments

• 378400821_1000925774527160_4331833445523386418_n.jpg
    378400821_1000925774527160_4331833445523386418_n.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 17