So what did you do with your truck today?

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been going trash picking the past couple of evenings to get wire. a couple of days ago my uncle helped me with doing the rear brakes.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. At least it will be running again. As for the turbo, I've been installing mine for almost three years now.:dunnoLOL
I've invested over $6K in parts trying to get a turbo on this thing and after almost a year of waiting I still don't have enough parts to finish it. I'm more than a little upset right now.
Fedex has apparently lost my clutch kit now too. It was supposed to be here yesterday but there have been no tracking updates since Monday so I still can't get it together. One final kick in the nuts from 2020.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’ve decided to intercool my 94 idit. I have Wes’s 3583 turbo and 90cc pump, and the truck pulls real well, just hot. I’ve got everything ordered and on its way. Piping kit showed up today. I was able to source all my materials for around $200, including the intercooler. The setup is going to be similar to Wes’s bolt on kit with a 3x31x12 cooler and 2.5 inch piping. My only real difference from @Thewespaul design is that I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with the intake hat yet. For now I think I will rotate the stock hat and use it that way until I can afford one of Wes’s intake hats. I’ll post pictures as I go and hopefully nothing will go too terribly wrong when I attempt the install :joker:
You won't regret the intercooler one bit. Especially since you're pulling heavy a lot. You may even wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve decided to intercool my 94 idit. I have Wes’s 3583 turbo and 90cc pump, and the truck pulls real well, just hot. I’ve got everything ordered and on its way. Piping kit showed up today. I was able to source all my materials for around $200, including the intercooler. The setup is going to be similar to Wes’s bolt on kit with a 3x31x12 cooler and 2.5 inch piping. My only real difference from @Thewespaul design is that I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do with the intake hat yet. For now I think I will rotate the stock hat and use it that way until I can afford one of Wes’s intake hats. I’ll post pictures as I go and hopefully nothing will go too terribly wrong when I attempt the install :joker:
https://russrepair.com/

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In past days have off and on ran the pump in a loop for maybe 10hr, also have driven another ~60 miles. Also enough time should should had past for the clear-diesel to do what ever it was going to do, and curiosity got to me. So I went ahead and drained the tank to see what is on the bottom of the tank, there was a bit of grit and minimal rust. I went and wiped as much of the grit out, also got what was left of the old pickup out as well. Now with a fresh full tank of fuel, should be ready to try a run again saturday.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I wanted to get my truck going again today as a last little FU to 2020, it's had issues with ghosts draining the batteries so it's been down for a while. I charged the batteries, let them sit for a few days to be sure they'd hold a charge, and put them in today thinking it'd crank right up.

Here's 2020's response to my FU.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Backstory: this is the second time i've reinstalled these batteries. I had them charged a few weeks ago, and when I reinstalled them (after waiting too long), one went in correct but #2 I put in backwards. Huge shower of sparks, browned my ******* a bit, but otherwise it seemed OK. Nothing, to my knowledge, fried. I flipped the battery and hooked it up correctly, but the batteries were too low and it couldn't crank fast enough to fire.

But it cranked. Right now the WTS light works as intended so the GP's are good. The starter turned both before and after the fireworks incident, but now it just clicks like an impact gun. No free spin, no clunk, just that rapid clicking. I can guess that the solenoid on the starter is pissed, but why it worked before and not now has me stumped.

I'm a little bit annoyed because this is a brand new powermaster starter. I'm 99% sure I didn't actually kill it, but I replaced my 300K mile still working starter early with the intention of not having to think about the starter for another 300K. So much for that.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charge the batteries again. Then install them again, and put some jumper cables on. Let the other vehicle run at a high idle for about ten minutes. Then with the other vehicle at high idle, try to start it again.

This will tell you if it's just that the batteries are not putting out enough oomph.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batteries were 12.5 and 12.7 volts when I put them in, wouldn't that normally be enough to start it? Or, if not start, at least slow crank like it did last time? These batteries are no strangers to the jumper cables, i regularly carry my "third battery" aka jump pack, but this is the first time I've ever heard that racket.

Tomorrow i'll try it with the jump pack, if that doesn't work i'll pull them back out and do as you said. These batteries are still under warranty, barely a year old, but they've been drained a bunch of times and recently sat for 3 or 4 weeks at 0.2 volts, so they could be damaged. I would still expect either a single click or a slow crank from bad batteries, this was new and totally unexpected. The glow plug relay had a similar freakout last time i tried to get it going, but this time it worked normal but the starter was the haunted one.

I hope this is a lesson in battery weirdness for me, cuz i don't want to deal with the starter.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something else to try.

Turn the engine over by hand. Then try the starter again.

And yes, the batteries could be damaged enough to not have the amperage or more technically stated, the "oomph", to make the starter take off and start spinning.

I've heard that staccato noise from a starter before. Several times. Usually turning the engine by hand fixed it, but either the starter needed replaced anyway, or the flywheel. Because the teeth simply weren't engaging.

Once it was fixed by tapping on the starter. Don't do that! You'll end up replacing the starter anyway if you start doing that.

And at least twice, it was fixed by adding more oomph, and figuring out it just needed new batteries.

(I fixed vehicles for a while, for a living in my middle 30s. Mobile mechanic. And a starter is a starter. Ours are more powerful than most, and need two batteries. But some things about them are similar no matter what kind of vehicle it is in. This is one of those similar things.)

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's 2021 goals for their trucks?

I'll start:
Goal: 100% Reassembled Minus Interior
Stretch goal #1 - Running and ability to go up and down my street
Stretch goal #2 - longer test drive, maybe to @Danielle garage for when it explodes? Haha she's the closest oilburner but I'm down if anyone's even closer for a shorter test.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only had a minute to mess with my truck this morning while the TDI thawed. Put the cables back on, put the jump box on, annnnd.... Now the glow plug relay is making that noise, too. It did that for a few seconds, then stopped and cycled the normal 10 seconds, then... same sound from the starter. Argh.

I only had like 3 minutes this morning, so after work i'll pull the batteries AGAIN. I really just want to warranty them at this point, my charger said they were full and yet this is happening. Frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online