So what did you do with your truck today?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 800+ miles after swapping the FIPL I am home. Was a long day. Left Lincoln NE at 6 am. Due to the complete mess the truck became it was 3pm before we left Columbia MO. I was literally the guy with flashers on nursing the truck to the next stop.

When it was right it ran perfectly. But then it would just fail suddenly.

Once we left Columbia MO, not a single problem. Ran like a beast. Especially once the sun went down. I need, not want, to install my intercooler now.

I am also going to collect everything for a manual swap. The E4OD is fine. Works great when all the electronics are good. But I found myself wishing for a gear between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and OD. A 3 gear spread there vs 2 would be better.

And the big surprise. I changed the oil just before leaving. Checked it regularly. Never added any. 4600 miles it's down half a quart from full. At over 280k I am shocked.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it adjusted at the same voltages as before..?

If an electrical sensor can go bad with so few miles and time on it...that does not say anything good about the parts that we can get now as opposed to the ones we could get when these beasts were new.

I guess that I am getting a rude awakening when it comes to the current state of parts quality...

Anyone have a similar experience..?
So to answer thoroughly. FIPL sensor brand is Standard. Might be better ones just not readily available. Check RockAuto. I got mine at O'reilly's as I was on the road. Also they claim lifetime warranty which I will verify in the next day or so since I bought 2.

It dawned on me that since I had to rig the sensor actuator position to get the new sensor in the normal working range, the sensor was probably bad from the start, it just hadn't flaked out yet.

As for voltage. When I originally put the new sensor on I couldn't get more than 1.16v at idle adjusted all the way high. That was why I rigged the actuator tab position. Before replacing the new FIPL I set it to 1.25v at idle to see if I could make the issue go away. No change.

When I installed the new sensor yesterday I had to put the actuator tab back to the normal position. I set it to 1.25v at idle. It seems about perfect. Kicks down on hills if I'm in the throttle enough to see 1200f EGT's.

But I maintain gear ratio and tire size determine the setting.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maintain gear ratio and tire size determine the setting
I agree...for fine tuning...its like I realized in the 80's when it came to modifications...it seemed like you could never do just one thing without having to consider the overall effect on the whole...

Glad you got it worked out...have you unpacked yet..? Betcha feel like you are still driving...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...for fine tuning...its like I realized in the 80's when it came to modifications...it seemed like you could never do just one thing without having to consider the overall effect on the whole...

Glad you got it worked out...have you unpacked yet..? Betcha feel like you are still driving...

Unpacked yesterday afternoon. Put dirtbikes up where they go and found a home (parking spot) for the new trailer.

It was a rougher trip than it needed to be due to the sensor failures. But overall I am thoroughly impressed with the old truck.

Now to start the next phase of maintenance and improvements.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now to start the next phase of maintenance and improvements.
Something occurred to me...can you check your alternator for potential AC ripple..? DVOM set to AC around 1 volt +/- and B+ to DC out and black to ground...run engine and see if you have much, if any voltage...

.25 VAC or less=ok

AC voltage in excess will mess with ECM

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
N
I don't see a problem, I see a serviceable part. Now if it was a 87 or later, you'd have a bunch of busted and cracked plastic that you couldn't do anything with. AND notice how handy it is that you can remove the dash to do clean wiring for stereo and gauges. Dude, we got the best! Just look at our stylish stearing wheels!
ever seen a bricknose dash crack, and only the pad above the glovebox cracks on the Aeros

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
N

ever seen a bricknose dash crack, and only the pad above the glovebox cracks on the Aeros
You need to go into it with the perspective that @Jesus Freak has a disdain for bricknoses. We have an unspoken agreement that I buy all the bricknoses on the east coast and I send the bulls his way.

Also we need to crowd source more land as @chillman88 and I are at max capacity thanks to my bad influence

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to go into it with the perspective that @Jesus Freak has a disdain for bricknoses. We have an unspoken agreement that I buy all the bricknoses on the east coast and I send the bulls his way.

Also we need to crowd source more land as @chillman88 and I are at max capacity thanks to my bad influence

Max capacity is a little harsh. I have room for more, but the wife would be (more) upset. Who needs grass to mow right? Might have to get a fence put up....

LOL

@Jesus Freak is just lucky I haven't found any nice cheap bullnose trucks.....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
N

Well.....you'll never be able to say that again. This is the hopeless dash in my bricknose tow truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20230713_173650.jpg
    IMG_20230713_173650.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230713_173655.jpg
    IMG_20230713_173655.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle