So what did you do with your truck today?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, in Moab still, I installed a new steering box. Everything I have read claims the boxes from F150, Rangers, Broncos etc are the same. I have some doubts now.

I had to add shims on the mounting tabs as they were recessed compared to the old one and the body of the steering gear was hitting the frame before the mounting tabs were flush.

But overall it's in and a test drive this morning confirms the wander in the steering is almost gone. Old bushings probably account for what's left.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife's car (2015 Ford Taurus) had the voltage regulator go out and overcharged and cooked the battery on her way to work yesterday. It was dead as a door nail when she walked out of work and attempted to start it to come home. Upon her call, I grabbed the enclosed trailer and took off the 35 miles down the interstate to go pick her and the car up. Pedal on the rug for those 35 miles, and the IDI never missed a beat with that 24' parachute hanging off the bumper. However, we realized quite quickly that there was no way to get the steering to unlock (electric power steering), and the car shifted into neutral (button shift) without some sort of electrical power to load it into the trailer. So, the F350 donated one of its batteries to the cause and we were able to get it started and loaded with little trouble. New alternator (internal regulator) and battery, and the car is good to go this morning.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I didn't do much with it, but at least I was entertained. I drove to town to do some grocery shopping. Along the way, I found a humorous sign alongside the highway. I live on Highway 9 just to make things clear. Then, While I was in the grocery store, I got a call from a friend who's loading some scrap metal to haul off on Monday. He needed some help so I told him that I'd stop by on the way home. I helped him load up an old 4 cylinder diesel engine that I'm guessing came out of a tractor. Than we loaded an old auger that's MUCH heavier than new ones are. Finally we loaded whatever this thing with wheels is on the back of the trailer.

Attachments

• 102_4080.JPG
    102_4080.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 102_4081.JPG
    102_4081.JPG
    535.3 KB · Views: 25

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dunno
But the speedo only got's 60k on it from factory.
Fwiw
The shoes were @75%.
:cool: Moral of story , don't age cure frictions...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I fixed a split fuel return line between cylinders 6 and 8. Was leaking lots. I started smelling it on the drive from Moab to Sandy Utah Thursday. Got pretty bad. I noticed when I went for coffee (mom has no coffee) a line of fuel where I parked. Upon removing the factory turbo airbox and starting the truck it was a surprise how much was getting spit out.

I am sure my mileage will improve greatly as it seemed I got less than 10 on the drive from Moab.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

On the 4th of July I got to do what I bought this pickup to do: make kettle corn! It was a big side hustle for me years ago, now this is the only event I do as my day job keeps paying me more and more, thank God. :Thumbs Up
(Plus our lovely governor shut down the entire state for 2 years to these type of events, I'm so glad I didn't make this my primary income source.)

My bestie and his son came to help. It was a great day!

Nom nom nom

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Drove to Lebanon to look at a motorcycle... Ended up being a royal pile so I passed.
Averaging 74 on the freeway, with headwind and hills, never broke 200°F, definitely love that new radiator setup.
Going to go up to Tacoma to look at yet another bike tomorrow morning, taking the truck again.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I noticed water dripping from the front of the engine after the 1/2 mile drive to get coffee. Leak coming off lower radiator hose. Seems like almost every day since the 30th, when I left in this trip, there has been something new to fix.

In this case I tightened the top hose clamp. Problem solved. I did source a new lower radiator hose just in case however.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Drove to Tacoma and back. Averaged 76mph on the freeway when the speed limit was higher. Never broke 200f, even with a fancy new to me motorcycle in tow.
Engine is definitely a little wound out at those speeds, curse of the 4.10's I suppose.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLDR.

Drove from Salt Lake area to Lincoln Nebraska trailer in tow today. Left at 4 am and cleared the pass heading to Park City without issue. Through Wyoming the 7000+ elevation made the truck feel winded and EGT's were the gauge I had to drive from.

Cleared the 8600 ft pass between Lenoir(sp) and Cheyenne again without issue. But in Nebraska my torque converter started randomly unlocking again. I had this issue 10 days ago and replaced the FIPL. It hasn't happened since, 1600+ miles, but started again today.

That and the 90+ temps in Nebraska virtually killed any chance of efficient travel. With the sometimes constant locking/ unlocking of the TC, trans temps went up. Never let it get over 210. Engine was stuck between 210 and 220 and I couldn't pull the flats in overdrive without 1200+ EGT temps. Drafting a truck however, yeah that worked beautifully. Was the only way I could maintain over 63 mph. Yes 63 mph in drive, not OD, on the flats was 900+ EGT temp. Never seen anything like this before.

With the TC issues I had to stop twice to cool off the transmission. I should state I have an extremely large aftermarket trans cooler in front of the AC condenser and a gauge inside the truck. Without those, who knows what might have happened.

Anyhoo, after struggling 350 miles through Nebraska it cooled down to about 85. It's like a completely different truck all of a sudden. Trans goes down to 180, Coolant drops below 200. I can pull most of the hills in OD at EGT's below 1000. I couldn't even pull the flats before. All I can say is that I must have been thoroughly heat soaked earlier.

I had this truck in Texas back in 07-08. Never a problem like this. But it has been a while.

One odd thing I noticed while trying to nurse it along.
If I turned off the OD and drove a few minutes at high rpm, the TC would eventually stop cycling and when I went back to OD it would not happen for 10-15 minutes. I have no idea why.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing the TC issues? I suppose the new FIPL could have failed already, but if not, what are you thinking?