So what did you do with your truck today?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I turned off the OD and drove a few minutes at high rpm, the TC would eventually stop cycling and when I went back to OD it would not happen for 10-15 minutes.
I am going to go out on a limb here and theorize that the computer strategy is such that when the engine is running hot then the computer will unlock the convertor to speed up the engine to pull more air with the fan...and transmission temps are not hot enough to cause the computer to forcibly lock the convertor to pull trans temps down.

It is a difficult situation with no good solution except to travel at night and slow down...that is actually a quote I remembered from a transmission seminar with Steve Younger...son of Gil Younger.

When you added a huge cooler for the trans (I am assuming it is placed in front of the radiator..)...you also added an additional heat source to make the radiator deal with...again...a difficult choice..

If the FIPL is new and adjusted reasonably well ( with a DVOM ) I would not suspect it being bad...unless 'they' are making them in china..

Hope you make it without too much worry...

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the few things I hate about the bullnose interior

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 19

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I have the same situation...at least it made me put some new speakers in behind the doors...and...I figured out which wires do what with the factory radio...

It would not be so bad if there was an affordable alternative...

Some body oughta make a dash pad that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

Back in the 70's we woulda just covered it with a shag carpet remnant outta the carpet store dumpster...

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to go out on a limb here and theorize that the computer strategy is such that when the engine is running hot then the computer will unlock the convertor to speed up the engine to pull more air with the fan...and transmission temps are not hot enough to cause the computer to forcibly lock the convertor to pull trans temps down.

It is a difficult situation with no good solution except to travel at night and slow down...that is actually a quote I remembered from a transmission seminar with Steve Younger...son of Gil Younger.

When you added a huge cooler for the trans (I am assuming it is placed in front of the radiator..)...you also added an additional heat source to make the radiator deal with...again...a difficult choice..

If the FIPL is new and adjusted reasonably well ( with a DVOM ) I would not suspect it being bad...unless 'they' are making them in china..

Hope you make it without too much worry...

I told my son earlier, if we have the same issue tomorrow, we are stopping and driving at night.

Look at my thread "FIPL Smokeshow" for details on how it's adjusted.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I have the same situation...at least it made me put some new speakers in behind the doors...and...I figured out which wires do what with the factory radio...

It would not be so bad if there was an affordable alternative...

Some body oughta make a dash pad that doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

Back in the 70's we woulda just covered it with a shag carpet remnant outta the carpet store dumpster...
Man I remember the carpet store dumpster. Triple layered my garage so the band could practice in "free" carpet.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem, I see a serviceable part. Now if it was a 87 or later, you'd have a bunch of busted and cracked plastic that you couldn't do anything with. AND notice how handy it is that you can remove the dash to do clean wiring for stereo and gauges. Dude, we got the best! Just look at our stylish stearing wheels!

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove to Tacoma and back. Averaged 76mph on the freeway when the speed limit was higher. Never broke 200f, even with a fancy new to me motorcycle in tow.
Engine is definitely a little wound out at those speeds, curse of the 4.10's I suppose.
What kind of bike did you get? Pictues?

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

On the 4th of July I got to do what I bought this pickup to do: make kettle corn! It was a big side hustle for me years ago, now this is the only event I do as my day job keeps paying me more and more, thank God. :Thumbs Up
(Plus our lovely governor shut down the entire state for 2 years to these type of events, I'm so glad I didn't make this my primary income source.)

My bestie and his son came to help. It was a great day!

Nom nom nom
This shopping mall looks really familiar... Where were you?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What kind of bike did you get? Pictues?
Picked up a 1998 Kawasaki Concours in green for my old man, to match my 1998 green one.
His has The F1 pipes. They're coming off, they're far too loud.

Attachments

• 20230709_140910.jpg
    20230709_140910.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 14

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be swapping out the FIPL again today. Not 100% sure it'll fix anything but worth it if it does. I was super careful about heat soaking this morning and problems started again with trans temps below 160 and engine at 190.

Made it to Columbia MO

Since but is acting exactly like it did before, TC unlocking at random times, and replacing the original FIPL fixed it for over a week, think it's worth starting there.

Wish me luck.

Forgot to post reply.

Swapped FIPL again. Put down 200 miles zero issues. Even in the 95f heat, drives perfectly and heat under control.

Crazy how much drama a single sensor can make.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it adjusted at the same voltages as before..?

If an electrical sensor can go bad with so few miles and time on it...that does not say anything good about the parts that we can get now as opposed to the ones we could get when these beasts were new.

I guess that I am getting a rude awakening when it comes to the current state of parts quality...

Anyone have a similar experience..?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online