So what did you do with your truck today?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I still have quite a bit left to do in body work to my 87, but that will be a little while yet. I Have been setting it up the way I want, and am pretty happy with it. This is what the truck looked like when I first bought it over a year ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

There was only two things I hated about the truck, which was the tiny mirrors and the junky aluminum steps that were all bent and crooked. Today, I fixed those things! I had previously removed the chrome trim around the fenders to see just how bad the rust was and to avoid any more moisture getting trapped in there and rusting. I will probably replace them after the body work. I went through a few bed caps trying to see what I like best, and ended up with a stahl utility cap around 3 or 4 months ago. I originally wanted the gooseneck mirrors like my f super duty has, but I didn't want the big fixed brackets that come with them on this truck, so I swapped mirror heads with the f super duty,and since that trucks brackets stick out so far it works just as good. I also put the step bars off that truck on this one. This is how she sits today. work in progress

It's always going to be a work truck, but I still like the small details. I decided to sell my f superduty once it's up and running good, to buy a cc dually, that is the only reason I swapped these parts.

Rock

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have quite a bit left to do in body work to my 87, but that will be a little while yet. I Have been setting it up the way I want, and am pretty happy with it. This is what the truck looked like when I first bought it over a year ago.

There was only two things I hated about the truck, which was the tiny mirrors and the junky aluminum steps that were all bent and crooked. Today, I fixed those things! I had previously removed the chrome trim around the fenders to see just how bad the rust was and to avoid any more moisture getting trapped in there and rusting. I will probably replace them after the body work. I went through a few bed caps trying to see what I like best, and ended up with a stahl utility cap around 3 or 4 months ago. I originally wanted the gooseneck mirrors like my f super duty has, but I didn't want the big fixed brackets that come with them on this truck, so I swapped mirror heads with the f super duty,and since that trucks brackets stick out so far it works just as good. I also put the step bars off that truck on this one. This is how she sits today. work in progress

It's always going to be a work truck, but I still like the small details. I decided to sell my f superduty once it's up and running good, to buy a cc dually, that is the only reason I swapped these parts.

Rock

Hey man, it looks great. Progress feels good

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I didn't do much to the truck. I checked the air pressure in the tires (in the trailer tires too) and then got an early start on loading up for the weekend's trip.

looks like fun! What kind of quad is that? I am not to familiar with sport quads so I wasn't sure. kawasaki?

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
looks like fun! What kind of quad is that? I am not to familiar with sport quads so I wasn't sure. kawasaki?

Rock
Absolutely. It's a 1988 Kawsaski Tecate4. It started out as a 250cc, but it has a 330 big bore kit in it now. Two stroke of course. The quad itself was never really good. Mine wasn't as good as stock since the frame was bent when I got it. Then another guy ran it into a tree and it's bent even more. The engine is AWESOME though. It's geared higher than stock and (from my online research) the exhaust doesn't flow very well. It will still spin the rear tires in 6th gear on the dirt roads around here with my not-so-light backside sitting on it.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Absolutely. It's a 1988 Kawsaski Tecate4. It started out as a 250cc, but it has a 330 big bore kit in it now. Two stroke of course. The quad itself was never really good. Mine wasn't as good as stock since the frame was bent when I got it. Then another guy ran it into a tree and it's bent even more. The engine is AWESOME though. It's geared higher than stock and (from my online research) the exhaust doesn't flow very well. It will still spin the rear tires in 6th gear on the dirt roads around here with my not-so-light backside sitting on it.

Sounds like an impressive machine for sure! The ATVs/UTVs that I have had in the past, were only utility versions, the utv had a belt driven 2 range cvt, and the atvs had 5 speed semi automatic/clutchless, which I never liked either one all that much since the cvt would freewheel a lot, and the semis were very jerky no matter how you throttle or shift(very awkward).The kodiak I had would run around 45 to 50 mph which was pretty fast for that and being full time 4x4. I definitely would not want to go much faster than that though.From what I hear, those quads are just like driving a dirt bike or motorcycle?
.My buddy has an old yamaha sport quad that was ran into a tree before he got it and messed up the frame bad, so when driving on flat ground it's only on 3 wheels!

Rock

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Very similar. It's a manual clutch. The shift pattern is one down, five up. My auto clutch machines aren't jerky, but I run Hondas.
My kodiak shifted terribly hard 1st through 3rd gear. 4th to 5th was of course smoother because it was faster. It always felt like you had to really hammer down to complete a shift on that, or even power shift which actually helped a little. I just didn't like how it shifted at all, but I guess a lot of that could be from the guy who owned it before me abusing it. The quad itself wasn't the best thing in the world either, so I don't really miss it after selling it early this year.I know all semis don't shift hard like that, but I would just prefer a manual with a clutch. When I do get another quad, it will probably be a sport quad just so I can get a fully manual transmission.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
While I was adding some oil to my engine, I noticed that the alternator pivot bolt had backed out a little bit. The belt had been getting chewed up by rubbing on the washers that were on the too long bolt. I dug my new green belt out of the garage and started to loosen everything up to replace it. Then I discovered that the pivot bolt had broken off. I had to remove the vacuum pump, alternator, and their mounting bracket. I was able to pull the fuel filter head mounting bracket just far enough away from the head that I was able to reach the end of the bolt with my fingers and thread it all the way through the nut on the back side. Then I started to steal the bolt from the Ex Wife, but I decided to try reusing the same bolt instead. I left the washers off, carefully used my bench grinder to put a taper on the end of the bolt, and then reinstall it. After I got everything put back together, I was able to finish loading from my garage into the truck bed and trailer.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Honestly, in really technical terrain, I prefer the auto clutch. I'm extremely easy on a manual clutch.
Yeah, I guess it probably didn't help that those kodiak are known for shifting very hard either. I can definitely see it being nicer if everything is smooth, which it sounds like your's do shift nice. I see some hondas trx350s come up once in a while, but I am not really sure if it will be better or not.

Rock