So what did you do with your truck today?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be looking for a jack for my truck. LOL

If I had had a good one, that day, I could have changed that tire myself, and been back on the road in less than 20 minutes.

I need to find a good used aluminum floor jack.

My only options are a bottle jack, or a high lift jack.

Sitting there beside the road, I could see the truck being blown violently enough by traffic racing by at 70, only about 5 feet away... That if I had put it on a bottle jack or high lift jack, it would have blown sideways off of them.

Either of those can only be used at some point higher on the truck than the axle.

The aluminum floor jack that the rescue guy had was light enough for me to handle even beside the highway. And could be maneuvered to under the axle, right at the wheel. Plus, was wide enough to be stable.

With it sitting on that, the truck was as stable as if the tire were sitting on the ground.

Guess I'll be looking for a used one. Or even one that needs repairs.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I have a question for you guys. Today I tried to get my oil filter off of the oil cooler and it’s literally seized. I cannot get it off at all. I put new O rings on the cooler 2 years ago. If I pull the header off do you think I’m okay to re use the o rings?
I you can't get it with a hammer and chisel, jam a big screwdriver through it for leverage. That always works. Do yourself a favor and poke a hole on the bottom of the filter to drain the hot oil first.

Rock

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I you can't get it with a hammer and chisel, jam a big screwdriver through it for leverage. That always works. Do yourself a favor and poke a hole on the bottom of the filter to drain the hot oil first.

Rock
You won’t believe it but that didn’t even work. I do not understand how it got so tight

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was put on dry the heat will bond the gasket to the header.
I always lube the gasket. I hand tighten it and then do like 1/4 turn. Never have I had a problem. This last time I used a rotella filter instead of a Napa gold. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. The filter just keeps tearing. I have a spare header for the oil cooler, I’m really tempted to just swap them since I have spare O rings coming this week.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the can off the filter and either take a punch on the metal screw connection (holes on each side) or put a pair of needle nose pliers in the metal screw connection (holes on each side of threaded connector) then put a screwdriver or bar in between plier and turn like a spanned wrench.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the can off the filter and either take a punch on the metal screw connection (holes on each side) or put a pair of needle nose pliers in the metal screw connection (holes on each side of threaded connector) then put a screwdriver or bar in between plier and turn like a spanned wrench.
I’ll give that a try

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to find a good used aluminum floor jack

If you can't find a used one, this is a little bit small for our trucks, but I'm thinking I paid $50-60 on sale. As long as you don't have a load of water it should be strong enough and they're very light!

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64545.html

I'd buy 2 or 2.5 ton if the money is there, but I know sometimes it just isn't!

You won’t believe it but that didn’t even work. I do not understand how it got so tight

I had that on my Silverado once. The only time I ever took it to someone for an oil change. I had to unbolt the adapter from the engine and put the filter in a vise and it STILL took a LOT of effort.

I feel your pain, it's NOT fun!

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
If you can't find a used one, this is a little bit small for our trucks, but I'm thinking I paid $50-60 on sale. As long as you don't have a load of water it should be strong enough and they're very light!

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64545.html

I had that on my Silverado once. The only time I ever took it to someone for an oil change. I had to unbolt the adapter from the engine and put the filter in a vise and it STILL took a LOT of effort.

I feel your pain, it's NOT fun!

I have that exact 1.5 ton and it won't lift the front of my IDI truck! Works great on the gassers and Jeeps though.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of spare dually rims at a local farm equipment auction. I don’t really have an immediate need for them, but I paid $35 for the pair. They look to be the same offset as what I have on the truck now. I bought a couple of broadcast spreaders as well. I’ll get both spreaders working, sell one, and it should cover the cost of what I spent today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would advice against 1.5 ton for any thing but light work, seen someone brake one thinking it could do more. I have the 3 ton one and like it, I could not be bothered to carry around a steel one. Do recomend that when dragging it around on concrete, gravel or letting it float around in the bed, go over the screews ever so often to make sure there tight and lock tight might help. These jacks are probably the same as others like it just made in subpar fashion, so a oil chainge may be do after purchase to ensure there is no grit to wreck seals.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-aluminum-rapid-pump-racing-floor-jack-64544.html

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I highly recommend the hole in the bottom if is a stroke filter, there unwieldy when slimmy do to waight of the oil they hold.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online