So what did you do with your truck today?

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. Sanded them down, then applied a "chrome" powder coat and baked them. Looks good and has held up for 5 years now.

@jrollf (or anyone) How did you get the bracket apart? Is this a screw or a rivet. The square fits a 1/4 drive but it twisted out of the hole kinda stripping it, not sure if it's just rusted in place or a rivet that needs drilling or what....

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what it is, if you drill it out, it can easily be replaced with washers, bolt, and nylock.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what it is, if you drill it out, it can easily be replaced with washers, bolt, and nylock.

Yeah, but I want it to look like I didn't cobble it back together. Not concerned about the underside but rather not have a bolt sticking up on top. If I have to I'll use a cone head screw there but I'd prefer getting it apart and together intact.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I want it to look like I didn't cobble it back together. Not concerned about the underside but rather not have a bolt sticking up on top. If I have to I'll use a cone head screw there but I'd prefer getting it apart and together intact.
Ah. Well, that makes sense.

I do believe it is a rivet. That being the case, you'll have to drill it out, or grind it out from underneath. You are still not going to get that rivet back in there and looking exactly the same.

What I would suggest is that you drill it out. Then use a carriage bolt and nylock.

You'll still have to use a washer underneath. And you can cut the bolt off flush once done, underneath. And I would suggest that you file the numbers or code off the top of the carriage bolt head, so it looks like a rivet, and not a bolt head.

The square part of the carriage bolt head should ride nicely in the square part of this rivet, once you put it all back together.

The bonus is that the carriage bolt head will not only look like a rivet, it will also cover the mars made when the attempt was made to spin it.

Last edited:

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jrollf (or anyone) How did you get the bracket apart? Is this a screw or a rivet. The square fits a 1/4 drive but it twisted out of the hole kinda stripping it, not sure if it's just rusted in place or a rivet that needs drilling or what....

I didn't [emoji16]. I took a chance and sanded all the rust off, powder coated and baked it as an assembly; including the aluminum arm. Seems to be doing well.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used these on the mirror re-furb.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. Well, that makes sense.

I do believe it is a rivet. That being the case, you'll have to drill it out, or grind it out from underneath. You are still not going to get that rivet back in there and looking exactly the same.

What I would suggest is that you drill it out. Then use a carriage bolt and nylock.

You'll still have to use a washer underneath. And you can cut the bolt off flush once done, underneath. And I would suggest that you file the numbers or code off the top of the carriage bolt head, so it looks like a rivet, and not a bolt head.

The square part of the carriage bolt head should ride nicely in the square part of this rivet, once you put it all back together.

The bonus is that the carriage bolt head will not only look like a rivet, it will also cover the mars made when the attempt was made to spin it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't [emoji16]. I took a chance and sanded all the rust off, powder coated and baked it as an assembly; including the aluminum arm. Seems to be doing well.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Ahh, that's another option thanks.

I used these on the mirror re-furb.

How did you get it apart?

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought is 4" grinder from the bottom side.
Either that or drill. Can't help thinking it comes apart somehow, the simple things are the biggest puzzles sometimes. I put it back on the shelf for now while I thunk on it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I ran away from work today at noon.:Thumbs Up Then I drove the the county courthouse to pay my property taxes.:cry: The reason that I did that is because I finally have the property with my garage on it paid off and I put the deed in my name.:cheers: Wait-it gets better. As I was leaving from work with my paycheck, I discovered that I had gotten a pay raise!:cheers: Then I drove to Kearney, NE and finished my Christmas shopping for my niece and nephew (thank God that's over with:Thumbs Up). My 13 year old niece has a huge sweet tooth so I bought her three big bags of candy and a cube of Pepsi. I also bought her a separate gift. I'm going to wrap a toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste in a different box and when she opens it, I'm going to say "Your dentist says Merry Christmas. See you soon!" Her parents and I will all have a good laugh over that one. Next I bought my nephew a Nerf type gun that holds 40 darts and comes with 96 darts! For a 2 year old! Am I evil? YES! I also expect to not be invited back for a while.LOL The thing is that my brother will probably play with that gun more than his son will (come on guys. Admit it. we would all do that, right?). Finally, I found a present for myself. It was worth every penny of the $40 that it cost!

Oldiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every year my kids get some type of nerf gun,,,,, and every year my girlfriend steals them, hides them, and spends the following year surprise blasting random people. Me, my kids, family, guests, but of coarse only when no one expects it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Every year my kids get some type of nerf gun,,,,, and every year my girlfriend steals them, hides them, and spends the following year surprise blasting random people. Me, my kids, family, guests, but of coarse only when no one expects it.
I kind of suspect that my brother will do that too. Sometimes I feel sorry for his wife.LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of suspect that my brother will do that too. Sometimes I feel sorry for his wife.LOL

That sounds about like my wife. She's definitely the prankster between the two of us. She found a nerf gun in storage the other day and I was lucky enough to get away before she got a shot out LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online