So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Truck is hot enough that I'm not going to pull the cap off. I'll take a look at it tomorrow after work.
If you parked it out of the direct wind, there may be a slim chance that the hot engine may thaw out the frozen coolant. That's just a WAG so don't count on it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you parked it out of the direct wind, there may be a slim chance that the hot engine may thaw out the frozen coolant. That's just a WAG so don't count on it.

Yeah that's certainly not my luck so I'm not foolish enough to count on it for sure! Blowing a head gasket? Yeah, that would be my luck.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have any anti-freeze at all in the system it has to get pretty cold to freeze up. But it can slush up and not circulate, and driving in cold weather makes it slush up faster , one needs to block off the radiator so more engine heat stays in the system. Have had the happen before .

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed new IP (90cc db2) and injectors from Classic Diesel Designs (thanks Wes!). Truck definitely has more bottom end power and get up and go. Will be pulling a trailer this weekend so I'll get a chance to see how it will do towing.

Question, any reason to go back and recheck timing after the pump/injectors break in for a while? Got it right at 8 degrees and seems to be running well.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed new IP (90cc db2) and injectors from Classic Diesel Designs (thanks Wes!). Truck definitely has more bottom end power and get up and go. Will be pulling a trailer this weekend so I'll get a chance to see how it will do towing.

Question, any reason to go back and recheck timing after the pump/injectors break in for a while? Got it right at 8 degrees and seems to be running well.

XLT
5spd Manual
Thank you sir! 8* is a good place to start. The injectors will settle a few hundred psi as they wear in, so I typically recommend to double check the timing after you get some mileage and heat cycles on them, but shouldn’t be a huge change. Let us know how it goes with the load!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my first thought, not sufficient protection for the temp, didn't know if that could possibly cause this issue though. Heat was nice and toasty until it wasn't.

It would be really nice to be so lucky.... It was last flushed/filled in Florida...
If the coolant in the radiator slushes, the engine overheats. It worked that way with an old 351M, anyway.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the coolant in the radiator slushes, the engine overheats. It worked that way with an old 351M, anyway.

Well there's a chance I got lucky. I was going to test the freeze point and the cap on the overflow tank was hard to get off... It was frozen on. Lots of ice in the overflow.

It's supposed to warm up this weekend, I'm going to wait for that and see if I can just fill it up. I'm going to start with a full bottle of concentrate and go from there. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: After consulting with a friend of mine I dug around and found a couple partial bottles of coolant in the garage and got the level high enough to know there's some in it. Fired it up and got it warmed up until the thermostat opened. Shut it down and plugged in the block heater. Should keep it from blowing a plug until I can drain and fill it.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Shut it down and plugged in the block heater. Should keep it from blowing a plug until I can drain and fill it.
I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I had a guy tell me that if you leave your truck plugged for about three days, the cord will overheat and start a fire. Good thing it's almost the weekend, just in case.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea if this is true, but I had a guy tell me that if you leave your truck plugged for about three days, the cord will overheat and start a fire. Good thing it's almost the weekend, just in case.

Well I suppose it could be. I doubt it though. I'd think it would either do it after a full day or you'd be fine. I could probably unplug it before I leave for work tomorrow and just plug it back in when I get home.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I got to leave work at 11:45 this morning, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as when I left at 12:00 last Friday. My next door neighbor (also my banker) stopped in to work and told me that there was a fountain of water in my front yard. The hydrant has been leaking slightly (for no apparent reason) for about a week or so. I bought a new one last Friday, but since it was only around freezing for a high, I decided not to dig in the dirt an/or play in the water. The top was broken off so it must have frozen last night. After I left work, I took my truck over to my garage to grab my digging tools and hook onto a trailer. The ground had settled around the hydrant and I needed to put some dirt back. I stopped to fill a sink hole by my garage in with dirt before I came back to the house. I put the post in the sink hole since several people tried to drive into it even after I had warned them about it. At the house, I started to dig out the hydrant and my neighbor/banker stopped by to help. Soon, my boss stopped by too. After fighting the tree roots and sprinkler system shut off valve that was WAY too close, we finally got the hydrant out. Then we discovered that we had put a hole in the water line close to the hydrant. I climbed onto my motorcycle and rode back to my garage where I had plenty of PVC pipe, fittings, and chemicals due to my being (kind of) in the process of running air lines with drop downs around the rafters. I'm sure that the few cars that I passed on the way back really wondered about me. Riding a sport bike carrying a 10' stick of 3/4 and a 8' stick of 1" PVC. We cut out the hydrant and the sprinkler water inlet (a sprinkler system makes me have to mow more and runs up the water bill). We got the new PVC installed after dark. I decided to let it set over night to let the glue cure out. I'll turn the water on in the morning and check for leaks. At one point this afternoon, I had both my boss and my banker digging for me while I supervised. I felt like a real important SOB!:Thumbs Up And don't worry, even I had plenty of supervision.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well I suppose it could be. I doubt it though. I'd think it would either do it after a full day or you'd be fine. I could probably unplug it before I leave for work tomorrow and just plug it back in when I get home.
No idea. I know that the cord feels warm after being plugged in over night, so it could happen. I never leave one plugged in for longer than over night anyway.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No idea. I know that the cord feels warm after being plugged in over night, so it could happen. I never leave one plugged in for longer than over night anyway.
If you ran too small of a cord, I could see it.
We leave all the equipment plugged in 24/7.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't think this is true. At one time, when it was being daily driven, if my 6.0 wasn't being driven, it was plugged in. It might even sit for a week or two plugged in 24/7......

I know it's a different application, but I've seen backup generators with block heaters that a on 24/7/365......

Sound's to me like he was afraid someone would run up the electric bill.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaving it plugged in shouldn't be a problem... if your wire is in good shape. I know the insulation on mine is definitely not in great shape, it's ageing and cracking in places, I probably should get a new one soon.

XLT
5spd Manual

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wasn't sure on that. Maybe he had one burn up due to a bad cord? It does sound a little bit far fetched.