So what did you do with your truck today?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good response time.

Ah, that happens. If I wouldn't have been so busy stoking an outside stove last night I would have probably been out on the road myself. And with the great county department we have here, I would have gotten stuck the moment I got 500' down the road. As it is I still haven't gotten to sleep yet, the pipes froze in the folks' house and I am still busy. It's nice that they never prepared for winter, period.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
off to buy new batteries for mine. Got 3 years out of a set of duralast red tops with a sub standard wiring setup and a dying starter, not too bad. Think I'm going to get the group 31 exides from tractor supply.

silkyj87

Reaction score
Split the engine and trans Saturday to clean and grease a very sticky throwout bearing, it was so stubborn that I could not slide the bearing by hand before cleaning the collar that it slides on. Got it back together and clutch works like a dream now.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotated tires (315-75-16), changed oil, greased frontend. Ordered diff cover from Ford (8C3Z-4033-A)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you pay for the cover, if you don't mind me asking?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the invoice right here, it was exactly $75.93 (including 6% sales tax). The guy looked at me kinda funny when I told him it was for an 1989 F350.

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back on the road

After sitting beside the road most of yesterday, waiting for a tiltray (one big enough) to carry me 90k's (55miles) home, $350 :eek:, after the retainer on the belt tensioner flew off, chopping a near new serpentine belt in half, I today fitted a new belt tensioner. Aftermarket, dayco, here in Australia, $350, yes the price is correct. You people in the USA don't realise how cheap and readily accessible parts for F series trucks are.
Bottomline, I'm back on the road in just over 24 hours. Glad I took the option of bringing my vehicle home, sourcing the parts and doing the repair myself, instead of being at the mercy of an unknown workshop away from home. :eek:

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a bill for parts!

I've always had a huge respect for ya'll in Australia with regards to vehicles. Ever since I first saw an article describing a buildup of a truck dropping in a diesel engine in a Ford 4x4 back in the 80s in a Four Wheeler magazine. With the internet available in 91 or 92 I started reading about all you did with vehicles, I thought it was all about just customizing. I never knew it was also because of necessity, those prices make me feel a little better about how much I have to pay. But I also have a higher respect for you for all you have to do.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today it was -20 + windchill. Anyone who says that windchill has no effect on inanimate objects never worked in the HVAC or fuel industry. So, I popped the charger on the truck to keep the batteries topped off since I wasn't going anywhere. I was at my folks house and the water pipes froze up yesterday (6th) and we've been working on thawing things out since. And my main job was making wood for the outside stove. It's an old house, I can't tell you how much wood my folks go through since there is no insulation (made for a great childhood, explains why I can take any cold thrown at me now) but I can tell you it's been a LOT of wood since my shirts are now much tighter across the top and my arms are Popeye'd again.

Anyway, I also made sure the tires were topped off since they were sagging from the cold. As soon as it warms up I have to order a Carrier pump and get rid of the mechanical one. Oh, and yesterday (7th) I changed out what is now my secondary fuel filter. Filled with atf/isopropyl mix. Still need to address IP issues, but it's too cold right now.

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy the weather is all over the shop around the world at present, down here we've copped the biggest heatwave for many years, last Friday it hit 116F (47c) and at midnight it was still hovering around 100F (37.9c)

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my group 31's installed, and she fired right off yesterday morning in 7 degree weather with no block heater. Im happy.

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes. Smoked up the yard pretty well and for the first few seconds it was only going on a couple cylinders, but she smoothed out fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online