So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the column in before lunch, then I had to run to town and get the correct bolts to pull the steering wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got the wheel pulled, swapped the extra ground pin that only cruise trucks have to the new column and put the wheel on..... Upside-down! The master spline was on the wrong side of the shaft...

After much tomfoolery and shenanigans I managed to get the issue figured out. Someone had lost the little leaf spring that goes inside the steering shaft between the column and the gearbox. They had crimped it down so it wasn't loose and had put it on 180 degrees off. I wondered when I noticed the master spline on the wheel looked like it had been forced at some point. I got it all figured out and straightened up (the wheels are slightly turned, it IS aligned properly).

Now it umm... "tries" to start with the key. I'm going to have to do something about the batteries not holding a charge. Nobody wants to buy a truck that won't start, myself included lol!

Trying to figure out if I should spend $100 on one GOOD battery, or buy two of the cheapest ones I can find.

Anyone have any experience with the bottom dollar Walmart batteries?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got the column in before lunch, then I had to run to town and get the correct bolts to pull the steering wheel.

Got the wheel pulled, swapped the extra ground pin that only cruise trucks have to the new column and put the wheel on..... Upside-down! The master spline was on the wrong side of the shaft...

After much tomfoolery and shenanigans I managed to get the issue figured out. Someone had lost the little leaf spring that goes inside the steering shaft between the column and the gearbox. They had crimped it down so it wasn't loose and had put it on 180 degrees off. I wondered when I noticed the master spline on the wheel looked like it had been forced at some point. I got it all figured out and straightened up (the wheels are slightly turned, it IS aligned properly).

Now it umm... "tries" to start with the key. I'm going to have to do something about the batteries not holding a charge. Nobody wants to buy a truck that won't start, myself included lol!

Trying to figure out if I should spend $100 on one GOOD battery, or buy two of the cheapest ones I can find.

Anyone have any experience with the bottom dollar Walmart batteries?

Good work! I'd hate to see the cheapest batteries take a dump in a winter month or two. OTOH, if they'd hold up for 6-8 months...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go up a step to the ever start max. Still cheap, better warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The everstart is twice the price. If I'm going to spend that much I'll get the good ACDelco battery and call it a day.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The everstart is twice the price. If I'm going to spend that much I'll get the good ACDelco battery and call it a day.
I'll be honest... Get the cheap ones if you're trying to get it going in a budget. My 12v had cheap 40$ reman batteries in it forever. Not particularly cold where I live currently, but we'd even plug in our gassers in my hometown (Quebec).

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't called "never start" for no reason. If you are doing it to sell, go cheap. To keep
, go good.

Glad I'm not the only one who calls them that lol!

I'll be honest... Get the cheap ones if you're trying to get it going in a budget. My 12v had cheap 40$ reman batteries in it forever. Not particularly cold where I live currently, but we'd even plug in our gassers in my hometown (Quebec).

These are my thoughts as well. If I don't buy the two $50 batteries it will be one GOOD one. That's the dilemma. I don't know if one single good one would be better than two cheap ones.

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are my thoughts as well. If I don't buy the two $50 batteries it will be one GOOD one. That's the dilemma. I don't know if one single good one would be better than two cheap ones.

The worry with the high compression and stuff that a single battery unless your fuel system is 100% air tight with zero issues, I'd worry...

Therkhan7_3Turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe. But they never failed me in the 6.0. Way harder on batteries than a idi.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Really ? I feel like my IDI is the most pissed off truck ever if the batteries aren't 100% all the time.... Maybe my cables are trash...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to make a run to the hardware store. Got this thing cleaned up. It’s a solid 10 footer now. Ready to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance