So what did you do with your truck today?

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after thirty three years I finally replaced the front brake hoses, I've had the S/S brake lines for Old blue for ten years. After replaceing the shocks last week I found the left side hose was in bad condition so on with the new. I also put on new TC Wanger pads, but would'n you know the right side caliper froze up so back to the parts house. Now we're back on the road again.

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
Ninth post, I think, and today I got my truck running since probably 2013, with a new IP and injectors from Conestoga Diesel. Only problem is a leak at the # 8 injector. I will be popping it off tomorrow and looking to see if I cross threaded the the line cap. Then check the brakes and the clutch to see if they still work. Spent a lot of time looking through the posts to see what I needed to do. Thanks everyone!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Ninth post, I think, and today I got my truck running since probably 2013, with a new IP and injectors from Conestoga Diesel. Only problem is a leak at the # 8 injector. I will be popping it off tomorrow and looking to see if I cross threaded the the line cap. Then check the brakes and the clutch to see if they still work. Spent a lot of time looking through the posts to see what I needed to do. Thanks everyone!

take a close look at the o-rings to, it is all to easy to slice one putting the caps on.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at the IP inlet leak yesterday I noticed my air filter was way overdue for a change...

You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't really want to spend the money for the Napa Gold filter but I convinced myself it was worth it. Significantly more surface area to the filter media.

Felt a bit more spritely but I had the AC on so I couldn't really tell. That mechanical fan does its job but I can sure feel it when it's spinning.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just got back home from Colorado last night. I build spiral staircases at work and I got to deliver one. It went to a house between Boulder and Nederland. The scenery was amazing. I did have a few "adventures" during the trip. My boss let me borrow his GPS (which is really stretching the term since It's an old Tom Tom!). I was going out highway 36 which is at the farthest northwest corner of Kansas. The stupid thing sent me north into Nebraska and then into Colorado going out, but took me through Denver and wanted to send me along I70 all thee way back home.cookoo As I was driving through Nebraska (and maybe a little bit before) I started thinking that I was hearing a strange noise. Keeping in mind that the A/C doesn't work in my truck, I tried turning down the radio to listen to the noise, but I couldn't tell for sure. Going through Wray, CO, I could tell for sure that there was indeed a strange noise coming from my truck. I had to stop for fuel in Yuma, CO. I looked underneath the truck, but didn't see anything. As I was pulling away from the gas station, I noticed that my volt meter was only reading 12.9 volts. "Oh, great! My alternator is about to fly apart." was the only thing going through my mind (it usually has the volt meter reading between 14.1 and 14.3 volts. I went a little bit farther down the street, I pulled into the next gas station. There was a woman standing outside who said "you can do me a big favor and just take that to my house". Since she looked like a **** head, I decided NOT to check out the offer to see where it may lead. I told her that I couldn't do that and went inside that building. I asked the guy behind about parts stores in town and after a long description of where they are at, I decided that I would go to the Car Quest store since the alternator came from one just last fall. I drove a few blocks farther down the street to see when they opened and was pleasantly surprised to see 7AM. I went back to the gas station that I had bought fuel since it's a small truck stop. I backed in next to another brick nose truck that was off to the side of the truck parking area. After calling the customer and telling him that I was going to be late in the morning, I just HAD to look under the hood. Shining my flashlight around, I noticed that the nut that holds the alternator pulley on was MIA and the alternator fan had been rubbing on the housing, making the noise. I sure wanted to get under the hood of the truck that I was next to and try to take the nut off of it's alternator, but I decided that it wasn't worth the risk. In the morning, I was at Car Quest WAY before they opened. The guy inside couldn't understand that there was probably a nut sitting on the shelf that would fit, but finally agreed to see if one of his cores had a nut on it. I took the nut and the blue Loctite that I bought and went out the door. I Loctited the crap out of that nut and it worked fine. 14.2 volts when I started the truck. Then, after several hours, I was getting back closer to Kansas and heard that noise again. I immediately stopped and raised the hood. Thee nut was still tight on the alternator shaft, but the fan was a little bit loose. I decided to keep driving. About 30 minutes before I crossed into Kansas, I noticed that my volt meter now said 12.4 volts. ***? I shut off the radio and I gained .1 volt. I kept going and the volt meter stayed right at 12.5 volts for the next 2 1/2 hours (about). I had to stop for fuel and it was dark enough that I should have had my headlights on, but I wanted to save the batteries as much as I could. The 100 degree heat didn't affect me much since I knew it was going to be hot and I was smart enough to have a cooler along that full of bottled water and I kept it on ice. Every time, I emptied a bottle, i just stopped and grabbed another one. I didn't shut off the engine until I got home. I did have to turn on the lights after my last fuel stop. I also stopped at my garage (15 miles before I got home) to grab my trickle charger. I put the charger on the batteries after I got home figuring that there will be more charge than if I didn't. This morning, after everything cooled down, I opened the hood. I noticed that the field wire (I think that's what the little wire on a 1 G alternator is called) was broken, I had some solderless connectors in my tool box in the bed of my truck, but probably wouldn't have wanted to mess with it last night with all of the under hood heat. Now I can get the alternator to charge again before I drive it.:Thumbs Up All I can think it that the extra vibrations from the alternator fan being loose caused the wire to break.

MrAmbitious

Reaction score
So I pulled # 8 apart and I really cross threaded that injector. Not sure how that happened, but a new one has been ordered along with a pyro and a return kit, so hopefully early next week it will run with no leaks. In the fuel system, need to check brakes and clutch.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the valve cover gaskets awhile back and resprayed valve covers. Daughter was helping me so I let her pick the color. How can you say no to your 4 y/o daughter?

Honestly... It really doesn't look too bad lol

I wouldn't choose that color, but I wouldn't cringe every time I opened the hood either LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So I pulled # 8 apart and I really cross threaded that injector. Not sure how that happened, but a new one has been ordered
It's not all that hard to do. I've done it. It's even easier to do if there's a little bit of rust between the line and the nut (that screws onto the injector) and the nut turns kind of hard. If it doesn't turn easily, I'll spray a little but of WD-40 or something similar on the nut to make it turn freely. Especially on the back cylinders, I'll also raise the nut up as far as I can and try to line the injector line up by eyesight before I tighten the nuts. This seems to help a lot.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the valve cover gaskets awhile back and resprayed valve covers. Daughter was helping me so I let her pick the color. How can you say no to your 4 y/o daughter?

Awesome color n a memory as well

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Getting ready for our 1600 mile rally run. New tires on 16x10 rims, new rear spring hangers and shackles and reinstalled the air bags. One was leaking so 2 new bags are on order.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Today, I drove it the 20 miles over to the county seat so I could "unexpire" the tags on it and my motorcycle. I did remember about the tags last Wednesday night before I left to make my latest Colorado trip, but it was too late. Then I paid a couple of bills and went to Orscheln Farm Supply to buy another 5 gallon bucket of Delvac since it's on sale for about $45 (after the mail in rebate of course). After I got back home, I got on the phone with Banks and ordered the new crossover/Y pipe that I need for my upcoming turbo/intercooler install. I asked about the oil drain grommets and they were in stock for $4 plus change. i told him for that price, throw in an extra one so I could have a spare. All told, that came to $419.56. A little bit pricey, but I talked to a local muffler shop and was quoted $386. That's if it didn't take longer than the estimated time. I'm also afraid that it wouldn't have performed quite as well as the correct Banks designed one. I was really surprised at how well supported this was since it's a first gen Banks.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced my pintle mount. The hitch tube was hollow and the pin holes were egged out.

It might have been fine, but I didn't want to find out I was wrong hundreds of miles from home!

Replaced it with a Curt brand solid mount rated at 17,000#. Now I don't need to worry about it.

I had originally planned on drilling through the old one and mounting it to the new one, but decided against it for multiple reasons. That's why the bolts are so long. Torqued them to about 90ftlbs.

Definitely worth the cost for the peace of mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online