So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My motivation isn't what it used to be, I need to do the same thing with a trailer I have but it's just so much work....lol.

Mine isn't really either. I need it for a long trip in July and I was like "oh crap it's almost June" LOL

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked at her today cleaned the bed/cab out,still trying to diagnosis a no start/over issue new batteries,glow plugs go relay starter fuel filter no bowl style.

Just has a split second wat to start light then acts like batteries are drained no air at the fuel filter head either brand new fuel pump as well total cost so far besides a ******* move to a garage that cost me $500 for replacing fuel pump/fuel filter the parts was not bad the $358 labor killed me drove truck total of 50 miles after new fuel pump/filter been sitting ever since still clueless

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but my $700 trailer now has $400 in tires, $100 in lights and soon to have a couple hundred in the deck. It needs brakes too but I don't think that'll happen this year. That'd be another $150. Had to buy a breakaway box too. It adds up pretty fast. If I didn't need it quick it'd be waiting a while.

What do you use to deck it? All I can think of is pressure treated lumber, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you use to deck it? All I can think of is pressure treated lumber, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Would be pressure treated 2x8 but there's a sawmill near me. It'll be a mix of white oak and locust because the locust is being given to me. 1-1/2" thick in varying widths.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door overhaul. New actuator cable, cleaned and lubed actuator and other door hardware, new window channels, sound deadening, new hinge pins and hardware.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our choices here are white spruce or black spruce, or lumber imported at geat expense from down South - Canada or the Lower 48.

Ouch yeah that sounds like a real pain.

Just went over today and picked up a few boards for the crossmembers. I got 6pcs at 1.5x6 8 feet long white oak. They're "seconds" with bark or other blemishes and I paid $23 total. If I need something cut special it'll be about twice the cost but still I can't complain about it.

I'm waiting to order the rest until I see how much locust I'm getting.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be pressure treated 2x8 but there's a sawmill near me. It'll be a mix of white oak and locust because the locust is being given to me. 1-1/2" thick in varying widths.
Can't beat white oak & locust! If the wood is dry a 50 : 50 mix of used motor oil and diesel makes a good protective coating to repel moisture and rot. Another material to consider for the floor is diamond plate steel. I built the dumpbed on my old 74 highboy wood hauler back in 98! That's over 20 years and no holes and lordy I'd love to see everything that's been hauled on that truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't beat white oak & locust! If the wood is dry a 50 : 50 mix of used motor oil and diesel makes a good protective coating to repel moisture and rot. Another material to consider for the floor is diamond plate steel. I built the dumpbed on my old 74 highboy wood hauler back in 98! That's over 20 years and no holes and lordy I'd love to see everything that's been hauled on that truck.

It's not dry yet but I plan to coat it next year. I've heard horror stories about wet diamond plate or poor traction in winter. Besides, I don't think I can get diamond plate as cheap as this wood.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Door overhaul. New actuator cable, cleaned and lubed actuator and other door hardware, new window channels, sound deadening, new hinge pins and hardware.

Wow, that's the whole shootin' match! Changing out the power window motor on my '89 crewcab was yesterday's project for me, but now I feel like a slacker.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not dry yet but I plan to coat it next year. I've heard horror stories about wet diamond plate or poor traction in winter. Besides, I don't think I can get diamond plate as cheap as this wood.

As for diamond plate can you dig at scrap yards for old running boards or topper covers would save a few bucks. Nice trailer progress as well.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's the whole shootin' match! Changing out the power window motor on my '89 crewcab was yesterday's project for me, but now I feel like a slacker.
LOL Well I kept breaking door handles which annoyed me enough to fix it. The PO had already done the bolt mod so I figured it was the cable stretched, and it was. All boogered up and the cable had worn a trench through the plastic. Figured well shoot since I'm already in here.... might as well do er right. Good for the next 100k miles!

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 3 brandings, one fixed fence, and one tree chopped I think I have to unload

You must be registered for see images attach