So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had to put the old Napa gold fuel filter back on the truck today had bought a wix brand dumb thing to do truck cut off on me twice with my grandma in the truck the light came on bam off went the truck picking up a new one friday.

Cleaned up the interior n part of the engine I could reach with la awesome n good ole fashion bucket n shop rags.

Wondering what a good brand for a air filter is n still trying to find the right tie rod ends on rock Auto to change mine that's today also cleaned a 03 dodge caravan se a spare rig

That's odd, I was under the impression that Wix MADE the Napa Gold filters... Maybe you got a one off bad one? I just put a Baldwin BF1222 on mine, so far so good.

I was thinking about getting a Napa Gold air filter for my truck but if I was ordering from RockAuto anyway I'd personally try for Baldwin or Hastings. Come to think of it, the last WIX air filter I got was disappointing in the craftsmanship department when I received it. Looked like it was made on a Friday when the quality control guy called in...

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the serpentine belt with a new Gates 111.5" belt to replace the used and still-chirping 111.0 one. Good thing I got it a half-inch longer, because I still had to remove the two alternator bolts on the passenger side and pivot the alt to get the belt over its pulley. Even with the tensioner compressed to the stop. Really fun with only two hands, too.

For the moment - no chirp. Even after 10 minutes idling, and revving it up and down with the a/c on. If it doesn't stay fixed this time I will just turn the stereo up more ;)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem with my Dad's 6.5 turbo. Replaced tensioner and the belt. Cured the chirp for a little while, then it came back. I gave up.

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my replacement cab today. put her on dolly's so it'll be easier to move around in my shop. Hope to get the old stripped down completely and out of the way this weekend. The new cab will be gutted as well and cleaned up for new carpet and probably refinish the dash with new paint too. Main focus will be gutting old on first though.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today, I put some long-overdue gauges on my van. Electrical oil pressure, temp, and fuel pressure in a central overhead gauge pod. My stock gauges have been garbage for years, so I'm thrilled to finally have some real info

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/fuel-system/new-overhead-gauge-pod/

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m posting this for @Danielle, @chillman88, @IDIBRONCO and all other interested parties, I’m posting this here since my internet takes forever to upload these larger pics.

Here’s the pictures of the damage on the cc dually Ive mentioned

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which one of those shocks from 1990 do you think were still working? Trick question, neither.

Now you can jump up and down on the tailgate without the truck leaning to the right.

They were the factory shocks on my grandfather's truck still, they did their almost 30 years of time. I bet it rides a lot better but it was raining and the truck was just washed and waxed so I'll find out some other day. Lol.

My grandfather undercoated this whole frame in oil when he bought the truck and sprayed it like 3 times, which really has helped against rust but it is so frustrating to work on because everything has dirt stuck to it and makes you think that your gonna never get a nut off of something only to find it comes out super easy and you are covered in.. something.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck ('93 F250 4wd) rides like it has solid steel rods instead of shocks. That damn thing will shake your fillings loose on our washboarded dirt roads when there's no weight in the bed! I have nothing to compare it to except my former '84 F150 2wd which rode a lot more smoothly...

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol I hear you that's how my 85 F350 is. This truck is a 90 F150 4x4 short bed, and it's so light it usually rides ok it has the dual front shocks and he replaced those once when my grandmother complained about riding in it, probably rides pretty good now that those back shocks are gone.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hauled a whopping 280 lb of scrap steel to a recycling yard today (hey, I got to be "environmentally responsible" and got $18 for our lunch) in air-conditioned comfort. Still no chirping from the serpentine belt or tensioner :cool I've had to fix so many things on the truck this winter and spring that it's strange just to be able to use and drive it!

Also this evening I adjusted the rear brakes and replaced a slightly seeping return hose from the filter head to #1 injector cap with a piece of good 30R14 1/4" fuel hose.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been following your epic battle with the chirp haha. Glad to see your victory!
I hauled a whopping 280 lb of scrap steel to a recycling yard today (hey, I got to be "environmentally responsible" and got $18 for our lunch) in air-conditioned comfort. Still no chirping from the serpentine belt or tensioner :cool I've had to fix so many things on the truck this winter and spring that it's strange just to be able to use and drive it!

Also this evening I adjusted the rear brakes and replaced a slightly seeping return hose from the filter head to #1 injector cap with a piece of good 30R14 1/4" fuel hose.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be a temporary victory, but it feels good for now :)

Changed the front brake hoses on my truck (decided not to wait until they started leaking or fail while braking hard!). Would have been a relatively easy job except that yet another made-in-China part from Rock Auto had a problem. The copper sealing washers provided were so thin that the one between the hose block and the brake caliper wouldn't fill the gap so it leaked even after fully tightening the hollow bolt! Fortunately I had an assortment of thicker ones (and didn't have to repeat the aggravation on the other wheel since I learn fast) :D

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hauled an enclosed trailer 2hrs away to my Grandmother's house. We're cleaning it out, she has an apartment over here. It's hard for all of us, she was in that house for 65 years. That's crazy.

I couldn't believe how bad the wind resistance was on this little bitty 6x12 box trailer. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow when it's light out but with the hills the way they were I got 9mpg EMPTY going there and 11.5mpg LOADED coming back. I'm not sure if the odometer was ever corrected for the slightly oversized tires, but even if it was that's still backwards!!!

Wind resistance was so bad, that LOADED going DOWNHILL I let the clutch out and started slowing down!

Would have been a relatively easy job except that yet another made-in-China part from Rock Auto had a problem.

I order the chinese stuff from RockAuto too, but I order the "expensiverer" stuff lol! I'm sure most of it's made in china but brake hoses I'll order stuff like Bendix that I know is a big name. I don't want to save the $2 just to end up with something with a name like "Sunsong".

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok so it was actually last night. I was tired after getting home at 9:00 and didn't want to do anything else except for eat, shower, and go to sleep. I FINALLY got to hear my truck run for the first time in 10 months. It ran rough and I only ran it for 2 or 3 minutes since there was no radiator in it yet. I know that there's still air in the fuel system since someone in the past blocked off the return line port at the filter head. It did run long enough for me to decide that it's too rattly on fast idle and I should retard the timing a little bit. I didn't get to work on it today since it was drizzling all day and I didn't really want to have the air cleaner off with the way that the wind was blowing. That's why I'm getting up at 5:00 tomorrow morning to have a full day working on it.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't run it any more without a radiator... if there's no coolant in the block at all, you can definitely cause damage to the heads or cylinders even if you ran it for just 2-3 minutes! Also it's ******* the water pump seal. While the rad's out it will be easier to replace it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828