So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now the water pump may be, but it won't hurt the engine itself. It takes a lot of heat to get the internal parts hot enough to do damage. I will be putting the radiator back in tomorrow and have another (probably Chinese) water pump to put on just in case of leaks.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buffed out the ol girl trying to get rid of superficial oxidation, nothing major but still a lot of elbow grease was needed...I don’t trust myself with a power tool for that job.

Got some OE door panels finally installed .... scored them from eBay, been looking for a long while waiting for the right set to appear (tuff finding clean OE panels anymore).

If granddad were alive today he’d be proud. He also probably never would have guessed it would have been rolling along just fine after 35 years.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a dump run. Picked up my buddies zero turn that’s been dead for a couple years. Trying to help a buddy out. Think I’ve found the issues.

I mounted my baby winch on the trailer. Desperately need a high power port on the back of the truck for such things.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I didn't get the cooling system fully installed in the truck today. I found a big tree branch that had fallen across my driveway at about 7:00 this morning. That explained what I heard in the middle of the night. It took most of the morning to get it taken care of and my motivation level wasn't exactly high after that. I did get the amp and new speakers installed in my truck though. It sounds great. I also decided that with the new amp, I'd had better look at doing a 3g upgrade in the next few months. I know that I also should start saving up for a pair of new batteries before next winter.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't believe how bad the wind resistance was on this little bitty 6x12 box trailer. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow when it's light out but with the hills the way they were I got 9mpg EMPTY going there and 11.5mpg LOADED coming back. I'm not sure if the odometer was ever corrected for the slightly oversized tires, but even if it was that's still backwards!!!

Wind resistance was so bad, that LOADED going DOWNHILL I let the clutch out and started slowing down!

Here's the wee beastie.

My 90 oil burner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Not so long ago it was in the same state of disassembly as this 81 cab on the trailer.
I have a 90 that I'm replacing the cab and bed on now. Just picked up the cab on Thursday last week and have to finish gutting my old one first then onto the new one. It sure is a daggum party I will say

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it around doing errands... noticed that the left rear brake sometimes gets hot and can even smell it at times when getting out of the truck. Guess I overtightened it the other day! I'll back off the star wheel a couple or three teeth.

Also was rudely reminded (for the second time this spring) that the rear tank will suck air at 1/3-full, not even the customary 1/4-full with broken-off showerhead, when going around corners or faster highway curves. It's a brand-new tank, and I did install a new showerhead (firmly clamped in place). Unfortunately our tanks don't have baffles.:dunno So unless I want to use a weighted hose inside the tank that can act as a swinging pickup, guess I have to live with it. Stupid design.

Since I have an electric lift pump it wasn't that hard to get her running again. The front tank does it too, but I can get down closer to 1/4 before winding roads start to cause symptoms. Very annoying after all the money spent and effort too, basically replacing the entire fuel system up to the IP.
-cuss

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately our tanks don't have baffles.:dunno So unless I want to use a weighted hose inside the tank that can act as a swinging pickup, guess I have to live with it. Stupid design.

Although I don't think I'll spend the money on it, they do make tank sump kits that bolt on the bottom of the tank to draw fuel from. That should solve the issue as well. Just in case you weren't aware.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0DTQP...QD&pd_rd_r=HGZ9C4FSBZTV2NB6PNDA&pd_rd_w=TQmbk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good point. But they're as close to the tank bottom as I could get them without cocking the pickup assembly so I couldn't get the o-ring and lock ring flat... are they not supposed to slide all the way onto the pickup tube until it bottoms inside the showerhead?

Besides, even with no showerhead at all, everything I've read says the tanks are supposed to be useable down to 1/4-full. Gauge is fairly close given the tank capacity and how much I can put in it once I start getting air, too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be. When I extended using hose and brass tees, I left the clamp loose so it could push the hose up onto the pickup tube. Pulled it out and locked er down.
Could you possibly have them hooked up backwards so that its pulling from the return tube?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh great, now I'm going to wonder about that too ;) actually I am pretty sure I hooked them up right... besides the return tube has that red rubber flap valve and I don't think I could suck enough fuel through it to run the truck except at idle!