So much RAIN

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
aaaaawwww you can strighten that right out, just need a vise and a hammer to tap it back.

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much torque do these starters have that they can bend a rod like that when it hydrolocks?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... Sure sorry to see that but... You "did" need an excuse to get into it sooner or later... Here it is... About the rod bearings. The are wearing thru to the copper. You are going to be replacing the rest of them? Pull a main cap and check them while your this far into it. I'll bet they are wearing thru on the cap side. About the piston... My thoughts are if the rod bent then the piston "could" be in danger of failing. There really is no way of maging them for cracks. Replacing just that piston and ring set would be the safe way out of this motor. I remember when I had my 7.3 cavitation issue the shop replaced the number 8 piston and rod bearing when they sleeved that cylinder. It ran fine for another approx. 180,000 miles till the headgaskets let go.... P.S. The Franklin information on rod numbers is wrong but thats whats being pushed around out there. I'm begining to think maybe the info on the turbo blocks having a larger main web than the non turbo blocks is not true either. I really need to find a bare turbo block so I can find this out. I also want to build another sleeved 7.3 but this time I want a turbo block because of the webs being thicker... If in fact its true....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck was parked at just the right angle and water got into the intake. Of course I THOUGHT I had the breather bolt sealed cookoo BUT when to start & starter went UUUH! Hydrolocked!!
Rick, I just noticed that you mention the breather bolt - do you run a road-draft tube with the crankcase valve-thing removed? Or is that breather bolt something everyone should be concerned about?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna replace all rod bearings and mains since I already have them & the motor is out. Thought more about the bearing in the picture and the bottom half had a teardrop in it where it was starting to gall from the damaged rod. Probably do the pistons also now that I have all the hardware and tools. Only has 127k on it & has never smoked until now.:rolleyes:
I hate pulling these motors more than once.:puke:
I have 2 more trucks in the drive like it is with one needing engine work. I'll go ahead and weld a couple of bung holes in the oil pan for future expansion.:cool
Thanks for the info Gary, that article didn't seem correct to me either.

Rick

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a seal/flap on the cowl (above the A/C suction line) that is suppose to keep water from the area. If the bolt is not sealed good against the filter cover or if water sits in that depression long, the water drips into the intake and into whatever cylinder is open at the time. If you notice water on your filter cover after a rain, you are susceptible to hydrolock by the rain. I'm trying to find a plastic cover like a large Frisbee to cover the Filter cover to stop this. I would adhere some magnets under the plastic so it could be easily removed. To my knowledge, turboed intakes do not have this problem.

Rick

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rick, are you talking about that massive bolt with the "wing" head that clamps the air cleaner cover down? If so I'm good on that, the rubber seal is still there and works fine, however I have 6 small holes along the edge of the recessed part from where I drilled the spot-welds for the soup bowl - guess I'll bring the lid to our machine shop and have the foreman weld up the holes for me. Also the cowl seal/flap is intact on my truck, and the hood is pressed firmly against it when closed, so firm actually that when I open it it catches on the edge of the cowl.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I call myself keeping an eye on the seal and bolt to make sure there is no leakage BUT I guess the angle or whatever it was parked let in that dihydrous oxide & spoilt it. Anyway I was going to do the headgaskets w/studs & the bearings can use a facelift too. I'll know for sure the reliability of the motor.
Now my son calls to say he wrecked the Aurora. Oh well, things to do to keep me busy.

Rick

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it rains it pours you know, only this time not literally. We managed to kill two vehicles in one night about two months ago, first my 4x4 snapped some studs and almost lost the front left wheel about 3 miles from home, then on our way back from the parts store my roommate hit a wheel chilling in the middle of the road (not my wheel!!!) head on and busted the radiator so we had to wait for the tow truck to take his car home, then call a friend to take me to my truck so I can fix it and get it home, so next day we can use it to go looking for a radiator for the dead car... all that in below-freezing temperatures and with rain drizzling!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That enginebuilder mag article was interesting. I see they don't think too much of the model A engines. Given the other errors, makes it easy to see how rebuilders do things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online