So much RAIN

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been raining here so hard at times, it finally happened.:puke: Truck was parked at just the right angle and water got into the intake. Of course I THOUGHT I had the breather bolt sealed cookoo BUT when to start & starter went UUUH! Hydrolocked!!:puke: :puke: :puke: Backed the crank up enough to empty the cylinder with my long torque wrench & it will start and run very badly.:frustrated:
I was gonna change the head gaskets on my next vacation but I guess I get to do it now.:rolleyes:

Anybody have extra 6.9/7.3 NA rods around. Please PM me.

Rick

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Oh. that sucks.
Looks like you got the butt end of the storms that went through here last night.We hit the basement about 11:00 and had a twister head through about a half mile off. So far I think it just ripped up a bunch of bean fields.

I've had my fill of this rain. Can't even walk out back. 4" standing water and we're on high ground, it's just saturated.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does suck! I had it happen to me and the Lady Moose. Fortunately, she was close to TDC and the starter didn't have enough time to get up to speed. I pulled the glow plugs and bared it over slowly. Used a vacuum with a proboscis to suck the water out of the pre-cup, then cranked it with the starter to blow the remaining mosture out. Guess I got lucky. All of you with trucks that sit outside for days at a time beware.... Wouldn't hurt to replace and reseal that hood to cowl seal on the firewall.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
OUCH:eek: i never thought of that as being a problem.....sorry to hear about it.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Bad deal! Really sucks! Mine sits outside everyday. Never seen water on top of the engine yet.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen any water on mine until this time. I'm in the process of making a domed cap to go over the whole filter cover. The seal is new with sealer between it and the cowl. Tornado just missed my work in February by 1/2 mile but tore up a lot of businesses & Union University in Jackson. Starter had a full swing on this cylinder. Starting the teardown tonight.

Rick

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How do you know the motor needs to be torn down? You may have left something out on the posting. I have a non turbo rod thats used. Its yours for the cost of shipping. Or do you need the turbo rod with the big pin?? Let me know whats needed. Sorry for your problems. Been there and done nat too.....

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a glacier on my intake cover (turbo cover), we had so much snow that it melted and flowed through the gap in the seal and made a HUGE block of ice on my engine.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've got all the iron parts (iirc 20 under crank, rods, heads and block sleaved to stock) for a 6.9 freshly rebuilt but when i was gone on a 3 month job i came back and some F***ING :idiot: put the pallet out side in our monsoon season.-cuss :mad: :mad: a little surface rust but should clean right up with a good hot tanking, and maybe a hone. i might get rid of it:dunno

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i bet weve gotten 15 inches of rain in the past 2 weeks here.. wont be boating in table rock or taney como for a while due to the flooding/debris/etc. hopefully it wont rain monday so i can put in my wiring harness.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna pull the front clip this weekend and maybe I'll be able to do in frame. I already have all the gaskets and head studs (ARP) ready. Just changed the mastercylinder & booster two weeks ago. Went with the '92-96 HD booster and you better be wearing your seat belt. Stops as good as my Deville. Just takes some getting use to not standing on the pedal and just touching it.
I'll see what's out of whack (+ pics) and get back to you Gary. It's NA 6.9 but the 7.3 should be the same. Casting # should be 1816619C1 for NA & # 1805615C1 I believe. I hope it didn't damage anything else.

Rick

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rick... All 6.9 and 7.3 non turbo rods are the same. The casting number on them is 1805615C1. The turbo rods are 1816619C1. Heres hoping nothing is bent or broken inside but let me know....

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping this in the same thread. Pulled the engine cause in frame was going to be more trouble than on a stand. #8 rod bent and scraped the piston on the crank throw - should be ok no more rpms than these engines turn. Rod bearing has very little wear. Crank journal is ;Sweet . Crank turns easily(as possible) by damper bolt. Some Pics:

Driver's side head gasket was leaking at oil port so now I can fix all.:D

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965