Glow plug data

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my first inclination.

Then I decided to just build the entire thing myself, with new parts. :D

That solenoid I ordered is triple the amperage of the factory GP solenoid.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course it's valid.

I try to make a point of not arguing with graphs and numbers. :D

I'm just saying that what came from the factory didn't step foot in any 400 amp neighborhood...
Haha. I was replying to two posts. One regarding the duty cycle and separate the one with the pretty graph. I'm more interested in the amps at .5 seconds. 1
,000 amps at 1 volt doesn't mean much to me. Still looks higher than the 25 per stick I was guessing.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400 amps???!?

Guys, look at that dinky little solenoid on top of our GP controllers and tell me that little thing is handling 400 amps.

That 400 amps would be absolute best case scenario with no voltage drop from the batteries, wiring or relay. In reality we trade high current for longer heating times.

Every beru zd9 I have tested with a low ohms meter reads 0.25 Ohms, 12V/0.25Ohms=48A.
You must be registered for see images attach

As for the factory relay it can handle the high current for short periods but keep in mind they do fail and with the factory wiring designed to be smaller to reduce the load on all the wires, battery and relay.

Here is a direct replacement for one of our GP solenoids:

https://www.amazon.com/APDTY-1994-2002-F81Z12B533AC-International-1826634C94/dp/B01MZIGKQT/

Product description

Brand New Glow Plug Relay
Fits 1994-2002 Ford or International Trucks w/ 7.3L Diesel
Rated To 100 Amps
Replaces F81Z12B533AC, 1826634C94, 1831646C1

The powerstroke glowplugs draw way less than the idi glowplugs, I haven’t compared them side by side but I know the solid state controller used on the power strokes won’t run the idi plugs as the idi plugs draw way more current.

@ifrythings nice post. is that installed with a 10 gauge wire feeding four of them?

It was 2 parallel 14 gauge wires about a foot long that I used for the test.

I'm more interested in the amps at .5 seconds. 1
,000 amps at 1 volt doesn't mean much to me. Still looks higher than the 25 per stick I was guessing.

Heres the begin part of the graph zoomed in, the power supply is trying to start up in a soft start mode, over currents for a bit unit the glowplug current drops enough then the voltage goes solid.

Note:the current range is changed in this to 40A/division and the time base is zoomed in to 50ms/division

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll unlike that one so I can like it again!!! :D Thank you, ifrythings!

Still going to build it my way when I get the parts. LOL If I fail, I'll have no one to blame but myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance