Glow plug data

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing I got accomplished today was sorting some tools and parts.

Chest pains

I may have to make a run to town tomorrow.

If not, I'll get something accomplished on the truck.

Correct about the light on the button. Hoping to just eliminate everything about the old system.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know it's ok if the white wire grounds out, right?;Poke
Of course. LOL :rotflmao:backoff:rotflmao

I just want to select what it grounds out against. As in, it can't come in contact with any hot terminal... :D

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced an old switch in my parents house. Ooooooold switch. It was three switches bussed together. Pretty neat. Light needed to work. Fan and heater don't work. Dad told me to cap those wires. He's earned the silent nod and the two wire nuts I wasted.

Here's some warn solenoid trickery for you. Safety so it doesn't stick on? I think all it does is switch L1 and L2 on the winch. Or in my case, didn't switch....

You must be registered for see images attach

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Selahdoor, I'm trying to read the Amazon Chinglish specs. It says:
Resistance is 14Ω, Capacity is 10.2W, Contacts:Normally Open (NO)/ 12VDC WITH 2 COPPER POINT
Replaces:70-111224,3635820, 1114208, 1114218, 1114223, 1114534, 1114547/ Bracket:Straight;Spst, One circuit: Off - On, Bracket mounting:Holes 5/16 x 19/32 2-13/64 on center
Our Coil Roll is using 180℃ copper wire, Cover is Nickel-Plating, Meet Environmental Plating Requirment, And Avoid Rusting, Shining
Max Transient current can be 300A, but Continuous Working Current recommend under 150 Amp/ WARRANTY: Life Long Warranty and Free Return and Full Refund
Note: Normally Make 80A as Working Current, Need Break 5 sec on, 50 min off -/ If u need a long working one, pls note us.
The scary bits are
Continuous working current recommended under 150 Amp and
Need Break 5 sec on, 50 min off

That's a long rest time, and 80A is probably well below the steady-state hot current of eight glow plugs in parallel. I'm not sure that one is going to last.

Maybe this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Cont...55CE2H0T4N5&psc=1&refRID=6QMX47XVH55CE2H0T4N5

Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this a while back but each glow plug draws over 50A each, thats 400+A initial dropping down to about 200A when they are all warm.

This is a 7 second run of one glowplug, yellow trace is voltage, blue is current, current starts off over 50A dropping down to about 25A at the end.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selahdoor, I'm trying to read the Amazon Chinglish specs. It says:

The scary bits are
Continuous working current recommended under 150 Amp and
Need Break 5 sec on, 50 min off

That's a long rest time, and 80A is probably well below the steady-state hot current of eight glow plugs in parallel. I'm not sure that one is going to last.

Maybe this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Cont...55CE2H0T4N5&psc=1&refRID=6QMX47XVH55CE2H0T4N5
That looks like a better one, indeed. But too late. I already ordered. Can't afford to just go and order another.

I posted this a while back but each glow plug draws over 50A each, thats 400+A initial dropping down to about 200A when they are all warm.

This is a 7 second run of one glowplug, yellow trace is voltage, blue is current, current starts off over 50A dropping down to about 25A at the end.

400 amps???!?

Guys, look at that dinky little solenoid on top of our GP controllers and tell me that little thing is handling 400 amps.

~~~

Again, I have already ordered what I am going to use. :D

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he makes a valid point. But I wouldn't believe that 5 sec 50 min duty cycle. It's a function of how hot the coil gets and then cools off. No way it's going to take 50 min to dissipate the heat from 5 seconds of use unless it's a machined asbestos case. I think it should be 5 min 50 min only to say a 10% duty cycle. Feel it after 10 seconds of use. I don't think it will be warm.

@ifrythings nice post. is that installed with a 10 gauge wire feeding four of them?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course it's valid.

I try to make a point of not arguing with graphs and numbers. :D

I'm just saying that what came from the factory didn't step foot in any 400 amp neighborhood...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online