smoking wires

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok today I changed my valve cover gasket on the passanger side, the conecter shown looked like it had gotten hot, put itall back together and now the conecter is smoking, looks like the yellow wire, is that the glow plug controler wire/ when i disconectit the truck dies.. ned help ASAP.... thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I suppose your refering to the engine main wireing harness. There are 2 yellow wires at one end of that main plug that supplys power to the glow plug controller. If thats where you have the hot melted and smoking wires just bypass it. Follow the wires to thew controller and back to the fender solenoid. Disconnec them. Go to a radio speaker shop that sells or installs steros in cars and trucks. Ask for about 6 ft of number 4 wire. Same thing used for gig amp speakers. Get the lugs for each end too. Crimp or soldier them on and connect them. Some like to have a disconnect or a inline fuse just in case. I just ran mine direct to the controller. I know it will require extra work if I pull the engine again but I can deal with that when it happens. The problem that causes the main plug to smoke and melt is corrosion on the tiny little metal pins in the plug. They are not large enough to handle the current draw when the crap gets in there.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fender solenoid? ..... my glow plug solenoid is over my pass. valve cover. that one?
Then just replace the yellow wire with a #4 wire?
Do you have any pics.? Cuz. I HATE wiring.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta get this back on the road, I have work tonight and don't want to walk.
any help with walking me thru this would be much appreciated

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... Just remove the yellow wire from both ends. I do not know what year your truck is so I'm thinking you have an 88 or 89 or 90 truck. If the glowplug controller is on the passenger side valve cover near the back. I'm thinking you have a turbo. Anyway the yellow wire gets disconnected. Then the heavey speaker wire connects where the yellow wire connected. You can just cut the ends of the yellow wire and leave it in the wraped wire harness.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I removed yellow wire, (two wires one ring conecter) on the G/P controler and two yellow wires (two ring conecters) at the fender solenoid.
I then installed a 4 gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse, do you think 30 amps is enuff?? if it blows could the problem be with the G/P controler?
or somthing else? thank you.
If it helps have a '91 f250 7.3 with aftermarket ATS turbo.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You wil need much more than 30 amps. Probably more like 200 or 250 amp.

w4dsb

Reaction score
I too have the smoking main engine connector after replacing the glow plugs and am looking to upgrade the 2 little yellow wires
is the length really 6 feet? i found 4 gauge starter cable thats 48" long with the rings already on it but if it's too short i won't be doing it that way
thanks!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
48 should do it.
30 fuse is too few for a single cable. Each plug pulls somewhere around 8-15 amps but im not sure on our application. 200 amp vircuit breaker or fuse would probably do it fine.

The red wire with a green stripe is the key-on power wire that signals the IP to click on. I would bypass the connector for this wire too if its looking like crap. If you ever get stranded run a wire from hot to the IP and see if the truck will start back up. If it does then its that red wire with green stripe.