I Bought These Wire Connectors for Engine Harness

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you recall: my engine harness plug at the he
You must be registered for see images attach
avy Glow Plug wires fried so, I just got in the multi-pin connector AND the heaver RED connector for the four -10 gauge GP wires that some suggested.
However... the male/female pins on the 12-pin connector look extremely thin/tiny and delicate like mainly for 18 gauge wire. The sales description does state they are for "14-20 awg" for wire. Has anyone actually used this 12-pin connector for the smaller engine harness plug wires???

Attachments

• 20230411_133918.jpg
    20230411_133918.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Cummins uses that connector style with varying pin counts all the time. Is a very sealed solid connector.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to use those same connectors, but I haven’t bought them yet. What crimpers are you using for the pins?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to use those same connectors, but I haven’t bought them yet. What crimpers are you using for the pins?
I'm just using an inexpensive multi gauge wire crimper. Nothing at all like the $74 dollar one in the above link.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins uses that connector style with varying pin counts all the time. Is a very sealed solid connector.
Just saying, in person those male/female pins are small, fragile looking and thin. For that multi connector 18 gauge wire may be fine 'but' the OE wires going in/out of my original wiring harness/connector sure seems thicker then 18 gauge. (not referring to the four heaver 10 gauge GP wires)

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just using an inexpensive multi gauge wire crimper. Nothing at all like the $74 dollar one in the above link.
Shows $21. Did I miss something?

I just soldered all the wires for my engine harness connector, but that one does look nice. I might have to revisit the repair later on.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shows $21. Did I miss something?

I just soldered all the wires for my engine harness connector, but that one does look nice. I might have to revisit the repair later on.
My bad, could have swore I saw $78.00 on my cell.
But now on my Laptop I'm seeing $20.99
I have a decent 'crimper' but more for butt connectors.
I don't want to wait for a delivery... I'll check out what Hope Depot or even Harbor Freight may have to offer.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what gauge the factory wires are at that connector, but other than the glow plugs, I don't think that there's anything that pulls much power through that plug.
There's the inline fuel heater. Which apparently still works on my truck because that's what ended up smoking the fusible link.

EDIT: Although, I think 87 and up has the heater integrated into the fuel filter head...not sure if it's powered through the connector, or by some other means.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There are local places to get these crimpers, I was just trying to find a reference quickly, but my internet at work was being shoddy today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230411_213154_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230411_213154_Firefox.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 12

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on some googling, those connectors are called Deutsch DT series connectors. Per their website the DT series is rated for 13.5 amps continuous. Maybe the easiest thing to do is see what size fuses are on all of those circuits.

Cyclone Ranger

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for the OEM 12 cavity connector housings? My pins are in good shape but the shells look similar to HammerDown's. I believe the PN# for the housings are: E4LB-14A459-EA and E3SB-14489-CB (this pn# needs confirmation).

Here is one source for the female housing:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online