5.8 to 7.3 wiring.

Brody

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says I've got a 7.3 IDI sitting in a Bronco. I'm hoping someone can answer a few things about setting up the wiring.
I unfortunately have a gas harness excluding the engine harness and am wondering if anyone has a pinout for that 12 pin engine
connector on the 7.3 and possibly one for a 1994 Bronco with a 5.0/E4OD. I am curious if my gas cluster will work. I basically
only care about the tachometer and would be willing to give up on the other gauges but they'd be nice to have

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tach for the gas engine will not work with the diesel. Besides a different redline, the diesel takes a different signal from a special sensor to make it work. The gas tach just uses the signal from the negative of the ignition coil. Won't work.

It would be easier for you to use the gas engine harness. Plug it back in and use the temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor the gas engine used. Find the hot wire to the gas ignition coil and hook it to the injection pump.

You will have to hand wire the glowplugs, but I would wire them with a manual switch, even if I had an original factory diesel truck ( I do , and they are).

Brody

Reaction score
I do have a diesel cluster so maybe I will just redo that. Most important for me is the coolant and oil pressure at the moment