6.9 truck harness to 7.3 IDI engine harness

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You can get a relay with it. Then all you need to do is wire in a push button and you have completely manual glow plugs. I've got one of those but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

bzdulab

Reaction score
You can get a relay with it. Then all you need to do is wire in a push button and you have completely manual glow plugs. I've got one of those but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.
I found it on the website and I think I'm going to get it. It says to add them as a friend on Facebook and get an additional 5% off the order. Friend request is in now just watching for the code.

bzdulab

Reaction score
Hey guys it's been a few weeks so I thought it's time for an update.

I got the EZ Wire harness which worked out pretty good. I also got the electrical troubleshooting manual that was recommended which was amazingly helpful!! Any way I got the harness all run and laid out throughout the truck. I took 2 factory harnesses that I have and laid them both out and cut all the pigtails I needed. Everything is wired up. All lights work running directional brake reverse high and low beams and the horn. The indicator lights on the dash work as well for high beam and directionals. I'm trying to use the factory guages because I don't want to add an aftermarket guage bezel if I can avoid it. What I might end up doing is getting a triple guage pod with oil temp and volts if I can't get my dash to work. I'm going to try to isolate each guage in the dash and run wires to each and see if I can get them to work that way.

It'll crank over with the key but won't start. Truck starts if I jump the solenoid which I believe is a start wire I missed on the ignition pigtail. And the alternator isn't charging the batteries. Also missed wires I believe.

I also got the stand alone glow plug wiring harness from classic diesel and it looks like a very well built wiring harness.

I was able to move it under it's own power in my driveway and I'm super excited about that because the cab hasn't been able to move under it's own power in almost 11 years!!! Brakes are a bit squishy still now that I can feel them under vacuum power. Clutch feels good, everything is new clutch wise. Flywheel clutch, throw out bearing, slave cylinder, hydraulic line and master cylinder.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That sounds like good progress. You've gone through this much effort, do yourself a favor and buy some quality aftermarket gauges. The factory ones for engine temp and oil pressure are basically moving idiot lights that are designed to make the driver feel good, but they aren't anything that resembles being accurate. As for the other issues, I'll let someone who is better with electrical problems chime in.

bzdulab

Reaction score
Yes I know they're moving idiot lights that's why I'm leaning towards the guage pod idea. Factory guages are basically just going to be decorations for my dashboard at this point. It was a nice idea for 5 minutes but the reality of them working was out in orbit somewhere!! Haha

bzdulab

Reaction score
Hey guys so I got just about everything electrical working. I have to get my fuel guage working now. I'm using the plastic tank from the 94 f250 donor truck. I have it wired up as the 86 electrical troubleshooting manual says and I'm not getting any signal from the tank to the guage. I did isolate each guage on the cluster from the stamped circuit board. Is there supposed to be a power supply to the tank sender or does a power supply come from the guage cluster?

Y/wh is what I found to be the wire running to the guage from the tank. Should I not isolate the fuel guage on the cluster and let it get power from the stamped circuit board?

I also found that my directional switch has died but I was planning on replacing it anyway. It was giving me a little bit of trouble years ago when I was driving the truck before.

Thanks Bob

Update: Well I answered my own question, yes the fuel guage wire does have to go through the cluster to work.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_225356217.jpg
    IMG_20211110_225356217.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211110_225344913.jpg
    IMG_20211110_225344913.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: