Smoking compressor

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was using the AC yesterday when it started putting out an awful smell. Turns out it was the compressor clutch smoking. Looks like the compressor locked up since I put a wrench on it and was unable to turn it.

The truck is a 94 and there is a 94 printed on the compressor, is there a way to rebuild these things? Is there a reason it would lock up? Any thoughts on how to go about replacing it/finding a new one? Don't know much about AC systems but I think its the Sanden style pump(not sure if all sandens are the same or if there are different sizes) and it is a 134A system, not R12.

Worst time possible for this thing to fail, its just getting hot here in florida. Thanks for your help.

-Rob

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
If it were me I would just replace it - make sure that you flush the entire system because there maybe debris from the compressor that was discharged into the rest of the system when it failed.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I figured, not worth rebuilding. How exactly do you flush the system? Also, is there a specific sanden compressor to get or are they all the same?

Rick, thanks for the AC forum, good information.

Thanks,

-Rob

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
dont know about different compessors, any parts store should be able to set you up. you should probubly replace the drier and orifice while you got the system cracked open. replace any o-rings you pull apart to becaus they take a set and will leak if you re-use them.