smoking and fuel odor

FordIDI

Reaction score
:dunnoWell i searched the forum and my truck might need the timing check. but my problem is when i start the diesel up it is like light blue smoke what people tell me but it looks white to me and i smell fuel and it over powers the area of the smell. it smokes alot at start up til like 5 mins than it clears up a little but it still blows white smoke when i step on the throttle. so if it does need timing? than is it anyone around roanoke,va that can do it. ill pay. and thanks:dunno

FordIDI

Reaction score
thanks. yea i didnt know if it need timed or what. but that helps alot thank you

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Before you go spend any money buy you a good bottle of injector cleaner and run a double dose of it in your fuel, then drive your truck like you stole it. Most likely you have an injector gummed up where it is sticking open and dumping more fuel than needed into your motor.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What CG said ^^. I had that exact problem and concluded (albeit unscientifically) that it was a leaky injector(s) dripping fuel while the truck sat. When I started it up after sitting for a half hour, it was like mustard gas crawling across the ground. It still smokes a little, but it's much better after a steady cocktail of whatever fuel treatments I could get my hands on, and some Dexron. It's definitely holding me over until I can get my new pump and injectors installed.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My motor sat for about a year before I bought it and put it in my truck. It pretty much ran like crap at first. Gave it a double dose of Diesel Kleen, and tied my 10K pound 5er on the back, and drove the hell out of it. Been running great ever since. My truck runs best during and after towing the trailer - with that much size and weight behind it, it's pretty much a full throttle affair everywhere I go. Burns all of the cobwebs out. These motors love to be worked.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times a motor seems to run lack luster and after you haul heavy it runs great... Why this happens..... I believe its the rings and cylinder liners. Under easy driving the oil is not burned off the cylinders or the rings.. So it builds up a varnich like film. Then you add some heat from pulling.. In other words you start working the motor. That burns off this film and the rings really make a good seal. Then you go back to easy city driving and it starts building up again. This is why when you rebuild a motor put it to work right now... Build up some heat but... Don't abuse the motor and run it way overheated..... A little heat is good.... A lot of heat is not good. Just driving a new build to work and back on the streets will never get the rings to seat to the cylinders. This oil varnish will build up... In really bad cases the only way to remove this is by machining the cylinders. You will know this is a problem by the amount of blowby on a new motor with a few thousands miles on it. Onne of the best ways to work in the rings and cylinders is in first gear speed up and let off the go peddle. Do this up and down acceleration till you are just plain tired of it. This heats up the rings and burns off the oil on them and the cylinders. The rings seat and all is well... How long should you do this....:dunno I really can't say but.... It one of the recommended ways of making things right... Ever see a new Freightlines or Peterbuilt being babied going down the road.... Nope.... they get put to work earning there wage... We have the same kind of motor.... Its a truck motor made to make a living off of... Its not a pretty boys truck and motor for getting the grocerys...