smokey smokey

crazyredneck

Reaction score
Hi ya'll. Since this is my first post I'll introduce myself. My name is nate and I'm 23. I bought my first diesel about 6 months ago. I bought a 93 cc 350 5 speed 2wd drw. I absolutely love this truck other than not wanting to cruise at 70 bucausr of rpms. I just have one question for now

I have almost 280k on it. Truck runs great. Starts when it is around 20* f and no block heater.

When I am in town or idling for a little she starts to smoke a blueish color. Sometime worse than others and it doesn't seem to matter if the motor is cold or not. In traffic it gets bad enough that people want to stay away from the truck. I have done the oil cap test and there is very very little blow by. As far as I know everything is original as far as fuel delivery.
Glow plugs have been replaced by the P.O. not sure what brand he put in.
How do these trucks relieve crank case pressure?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
The crankcase pressure is relieved by the CPR, Thats like a tuna fish can behind the intake with a short hose going down into the intake gasket. If you have a turbo, it will be relocated to one of the valve covers possibly.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The info about the crankcase pressure is correct. Those cdr valves do wear out and need replacement too. With that many miles on the engine and the blue smoke at idle I'm thinking the valve seals are shot. You might be able to fix much of the blue smoke by a treatment of Auto RX in the oil. That stuff really cleans the oil side of the engine freeing up stuck lifters and valves. It very slowly breaks down the varnish and sludge buildup that ruins a fine engine. Read up on it and try it. Its cheaper than a rebuilt set of heads or and engine. Also welcome to the best idi forum where we don't tell you your stupid for asking a question. We are here to help more than tell you something unflattering.