Smoked out of my own truck

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well the other day I went out and started my truck up before I went to school. Before I went in the house I turned the defroster on, and turned it to low, because my windshield was frozen. So then I ate a quick breakfast, heard my truck kick off the high idle, and went out there to go to school. So as I'm backing up I get this smell, like someobody is burning a brush pile or has a fire going or something. So I thought to myself, do we have a fire going (the house is heated by wood), no we didnt, so I figured somebody was out burning a brush pile. Then all of the sudden the smell got very intense, and started there was a hint of plastic in the smell. Not even a second after that I look at my defroster vents, and smoke started to pore out of it like no tommorow. It filled the cab up thick with smoke in only a couple of seconds. I stopped as fast as I could and shut off my truck and popped the hood hoping not to see a fire under it. I looked under the hood, and all seems good, and there wasnt the smell under it.

So what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure its the heater fan motor thing that burned up on me. What could cause a failure, or is it just one of those things that get old and worn out and crap out on you? I'm going to dig in it tommorow and see what happens.

mejonz

Reaction score
had the same thing happen to me the fan box filled up with leaves over time and i jumped in my truck turned on the heater and smoke just poored out of the vents smelled just like a brush fire shut the truck off pulled the fan motor and the resister pack for the fan caught the leaves on fire had to dig the leaves out my motor works on low now because I havent replaced the resistor pack I live in glendale az so I really don't need a heater that bad

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Huh, I wonder if I have any foreign objects in there that caught fire, or at least started to smoke. I just looked it up in LMC, and it would cost either $40 or $50 depending on if my truck had factory A/C or dealer A/C. I'm sure I could get one cheaper, cause LMC is usually priced pretty high.

mejonz

Reaction score
ps I see you live in silverton ore my grandparents use to live about 10 miles east almost to silver falls state park

FordGuy100

Reaction score
ps I see you live in silverton ore my grandparents use to live about 10 miles east almost to silver falls state park

Hah, its a pretty small world. The state park butts up to our property ;Sweet, were about a mile from the first campground.

mejonz

Reaction score
then you might know where silvercrest grade school is or was . I went to first grade there along time ago my granparents had propety on top of the hill north of the school where the big inter section is where the tree nursery is
I think it's called hups nursery I lived up there as a kid many moons ago

FordGuy100

Reaction score
then you might know where silvercrest grade school is or was . I went to first grade there along time ago my granparents had propety on top of the hill north of the school where the big inter section is where the tree nursery is
I think it's called hups nursery I lived up there as a kid many moons ago

Yeah I know where SilverCrest is, I went there in my 6-8th grade years, and my sister is going there now. And yup, I know where the hup house is, its a really nice house, though I dont know if they renovated it since you lived there.

mejonz

Reaction score
My cousins and me and my sister used spend the summers at my gandparent farm they owened 40 acres on the top of that hill we used to pick strawberries every summer. it's pretty much just cristmas trees now if I remember right but it used to be all strawberries with the desantas familly owning alot of the fields

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah its all christmas trees now, no more strawberry fields up here. The desantis family's land has gone down it seems, while the Hups own a bunch.

mejonz

Reaction score
I remember when they started that nursery tells you how old I am I think they least alot of that land the hups did they may own it by now tho

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I guess they could be leasing it. But dang, its pretty cool that you lived there though. I bet it was way different then than it is now though, probably less people around.

mejonz

Reaction score
on top of the hill my grandfather owend the propty on the south on the top and a family called the harolds owned the other side of the road .my grandfathers property used to go from the top all the way down to the road they called the rail road grade

FordGuy100

Reaction score
on top of the hill my grandfather owend the propty on the south on the top and a family called the harolds owned the other side of the road .my grandfathers property used to go from the top all the way down to the road they called the rail road grade

So then your grandfather owned the land on the side of the hill that is facing towards Silvercrest then?

mejonz

Reaction score
Yes he did if you look from the railroad grade it was the hups then desantas had a piece of land and then my grandfathers property the hups probly own that peice of the desantas land by now I would imagine

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes he did if you look from the railroad grade it was the hups then desantas had a piece of land and then my grandfathers property the hups probly own that peice of the desantas land by now I would imagine

Yeah, its the Hups now. Then Desantas's land is more towards the park now.