Slow heater blower motor speed?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't I read somewhere that a Crown Vic blower motor for certain years would fit these trucks, and moved more air and/ or had less noise?

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I remember seeing that, but nobody seemed to really know for sure.

My heat is ok, could be better, but I don't freeze.
My AC doesn't work worth a s*** though, it blows cold, but doesn't move enough air to keep the cab cool. And if the sun is shining, forget about it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From day one, my blower/fan was anemic, with HIGH being about as strong as LOW on a GM truck.

Every Ford truck I have had was no better, so I figured it was just a Ford thing.

Here is a list of some of the things I have done that have really improved both HEAT and A/C and really boosted the fan:

I pulled the blower out and removed about two five-gallon bucket-fulls of wet leaves, pine-needles, dead mice, feathers, and other miscellaneous **** :puke: .

I removed the kick-panels and reached inside the access holes, removing tons of the same crap :puke: .

I removed the cowl-cover and zip-tied/glued screen across the entire bottom of it to keep out any more of the previously mentioned trash.

I removed the A/C evaporator cover and found it completely packed full of all manner of un-desirable stuff; I thoroughly cleaned everything I could get at and saturated everywhere with some germ-killing smell-good spray liquid; this got rid of the wet-dog smell when the A/C was on.

All of this helped a bunch, but none of it really helped the anemic blower.

I then routed both a 10-AWG HOT and GROUND through relays, triggered by a toggle-switch in the cab, and spliced these big wires into the main power wires at the blower itself.

I did this work on the "truck" side of the blower-motor plug, so that I could easily replace the blower and not ****** my new wiring.

:thumbsup::backoff:backoff NOW SHE BLOWS. ;Sweet:D

I can flip the toggle, giving full alternator voltage straight to the blower, and blow your hat plumb off your head.

Of the many many improvements on my truck, this is one of my favorite modifications, especially in the heat of summer. :thumbsup:

CJCJ

chooglin
Reaction score
From day one, my blower/fan was anemic, with HIGH being about as strong as LOW on a GM truck.

Every Ford truck I have had was no better, so I figured it was just a Ford thing.

Here is a list of some of the things I have done that have really improved both HEAT and A/C and really boosted the fan:

I pulled the blower out and removed about two five-gallon bucket-fulls of wet leaves, pine-needles, dead mice, feathers, and other miscellaneous **** :puke: .

I removed the kick-panels and reached inside the access holes, removing tons of the same crap :puke: .

I removed the cowl-cover and zip-tied/glued screen across the entire bottom of it to keep out any more of the previously mentioned trash.

I removed the A/C evaporator cover and found it completely packed full of all manner of un-desirable stuff; I thoroughly cleaned everything I could get at and saturated everywhere with some germ-killing smell-good spray liquid; this got rid of the wet-dog smell when the A/C was on.

I then routed both a 10-AWG HOT and GROUND through relays, triggered by a toggle-switch in the cab, and spliced these big wires into the main power wires at the blower itself.

I did this work on the "truck" side of the blower-motor plug, so that I could easily replace the blower and not ****** my new wiring.

I can flip the toggle, giving full alternator voltage straight to the blower, and blow your hat plumb off your head.

Of the many many improvements on my truck, this is one of my favorite modifications, especially in the heat of summer. :thumbsup:

Would it be possible to show a quick sketch of the mod sir?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to show a quick sketch of the mod sir?

Sir ;Really , that makes me feel important.:D

Sorry that I am not bright enough to do sketches and pictures.:dunno

The procedure is the same as would be done with "relaying" the headlights, except BOTH HOT and GROUND must be relayed; reason being that the GROUND wire is the one that must pass through the speed-controlling resistors.

Even with the speed selector set on HIGH, the factory GROUND is a very poor GROUND indeed.

The relays bypass all of the marginal factory circuit and give the blower all the juice the alternator is capable of.

A plain old SPST toggle in the cab triggers both relays simultaneously; the system works as always when the toggle is OFF.

Switching the toggle ON bypasses all that factory junk. ;Sweet

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got our 85 clunker a few months back. I was just going over the vent system myself as I am yanking everything apart and want it to go back on only once and functional :)

We only get 20-40 degree temps during winter. I noticed that when warmed up the truck definately has the ability to bake me out of the cab on its warmest setting with the lowest fan setting. My impression was always that it is a very weak blower for such a mean truck and small area to vent. But the flow doesn't impact heat so I figured they knew what they were doing.

Our defrost was only dealing with the lower 1/4 of the window. Turns out there was lots of crap that fell down inside and were stopping the door from actuating.

Our ac isn't hooked up, but I also noticed with the heat on when the air was selected, it put out way more air on high speed than any of the heat only settings.

Anyway I just figured it was a design thing. For all I know my blower motor could be slower than new but we are looking at the bottom line $$ for our project and it seems to be ok so we will leave it, although that mod sounds neat and I would not hesitate to do that in the future if any need arises(I can see myself trying to fix ac when summer comes).

I also noticed that the plastic pieces that make up all the vents are put together loosely and distorted. I have been studying how each setting actuates and where everything seats and I am going to have to mod and clean every mating surface and use my own sealants and mold free weatherstripping materials along with some hvac tape, which will cut down on the loss of air depending on where its directed. I noticed I had noticeable airflow leaks along the paths going to the wrong areas when using the vent selector, so that might have cut down on the end result as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damien, I can attest that (at least when new) these trucks with there factory wiring and blowers could chase you out of the cab on the coldest day. I suspect 20 plus years of oxidation and decay can lead to fan anemia in even the best design. Your mod is still a great idea though, because Ford never spent extra on any wire, that's for sure.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Damien, I can attest that (at least when new) these trucks with there factory wiring and blowers could chase you out of the cab on the coldest day. I suspect 20 plus years of oxidation and decay can lead to fan anemia in even the best design. Your mod is still a great idea though, because Ford never spent extra on any wire, that's for sure.

mine will actually still run you out of the cab now, its real hot heat, my blower is slower than it should be but for now i need to find out why mine wont switch from vent to defrost:mad:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I never really had an issue with lack of heat, in fact it is toasty-warm on low-speed once the engine gets to temperature.

Where the super-charged blower shines is in summer with the A/C on.

Before, it was barely comfortable on even a warmish day, let alone a high-humidity Kentucky scorcher.

With the blower relays activated, I can put you to hunting a coat on the hottest day. ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
To clarify, I never really had an issue with lack of heat, in fact it is toasty-warm on low-speed once the engine gets to temperature.

Where the super-charged blower shines is in summer with the A/C on.

Before, it was barely comfortable on even a warmish day, let alone a high-humidity Kentucky scorcher.

With the blower relays activated, I can put you to hunting a coat on the hottest day. ;Sweet

i may have to do something to make mine faster, if i fix my A/C
My old truck done decent at cooling but on them days it would get to around 100 degrees with some high humitity then it had problems, but i know if i fix the a/c on this one it wont keep me cold enough