single stack attack

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
trust me it won't get no where near 250 deg barely over a hundred degrees more then likely and thats after a long while

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm assuming that I should be fine then. The only reason why I didn't think making the stacks and tank a solid unit would be a good idea is incase I ever need to change the stacks out or something "clips" the stacks and bends them over. I'll get started on it soon. If the truck goes up in flames, I'll let you guys know NOT to do it... LOL.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I would put a good gap between them and the tank. My stacks set stuff on fire all the time. I throw some random bag of trash or something in the bed, it slides under the box (and I forget about it), then Im suddenly reminded when I pull a hill and look back to flames in the rear window. It is common enough I dont even stop unless there is a lot of flames and or a bunch of smoke.

STACKS GET VERY HOT AND FAST WHEN THE EGT'S GO UP.

punk

btw good find on the trailer kenneth. Wish I could find a deal like that. Michelle and I would love to have a way to go camping and what not when we travel around, but have yet to come across an affordable (in my case free) drop in camper.

joe_diesel

Reaction score
I would put a good gap between them and the tank. My stacks set stuff on fire all the time. I throw some random bag of trash or something in the bed, it slides under the box (and I forget about it), then Im suddenly reminded when I pull a hill and look back to flames in the rear window. It is common enough I dont even stop unless there is a lot of flames and or a bunch of smoke.

STACKS GET VERY HOT AND FAST WHEN THE EGT'S GO UP.

punk

btw good find on the trailer kenneth. Wish I could find a deal like that. Michelle and I would love to have a way to go camping and what not when we travel around, but have yet to come across an affordable (in my case free) drop in camper.

Cool as they are that has been my issue with stacks. The stacks limit the usage of the bed and therefore the truck for most peoples intended use (in more than one way).

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
But I wouldn't be putting a "combustable" material right up against it. The heat would have to transfer off the stack and through the aluminum to heat the WMO blend. I was think about building it as a "L shape" to increase the capacity and also "fill in" the space under the toolbox so that nothing could slide under it and rest up against the pipe across the bed or against the stacks. I plan on a little research before I built this up so that I don't make a big mistake. If the aluminum would cause too much heat on the WMO, I have some 1/4" thick steel plate, but I think that would defeat the whole idea of using the heat from the stacks to heat my WMO blend.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I've already done it although I did use steel so it might take a little longer to heat up but I doubt it would make much difference over a few hours. Heres a couple pics of my setup and after I got it in I added a piece of aluminum to the back of the toolbox that closed off the rest of the bed from the tank and made all the heat go up past the tank. When we went to the IDI rally in Tn. it was almost 90 out and even with an electric heating element in the tank the temps never got above 125 in the tank for an 8 hour drive

Attachments

• DSC01184.jpg
    DSC01184.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01182.jpg
    DSC01182.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member