sidewinder no boost

fordhorse

Reaction score
I wasn't getting any boost so I built a leak tester I put 10psi on the turbo and sprayed all the connections with soapy water. I couldn't see any leaks but noticed air coming out the oil line so I took the intake hat off and found oil in the intake. I also noticed that the wastegate valve is not seating is this normal? Any ideas why I'm not getting any boost?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wastegate valve should be closed until the diaphram tells it to.

disconnect the wastegate rod, and work the valve open and closed. it should be free and not stick.

i would wire the valve closed and take it for a short spin'

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely wastegate is stuck open, a tiny bit will make little to no boost.

fordhorse

Reaction score
I tested the gauge it works. I pulled the turbo off lastnight and looked in the hot side and I can see light coming through the waste gate looks like a big gap what can I do to fix it. Do I need to have it rebuilt?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does the lever move, it may just be stuck.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lever moves when I put some air in the line to the actuator

Some oil in the intake is natural, comes from the CDR.

The lever moves, but is the wastegate closing all the way? Shouldn't be able to see any light thru it. WD40 or like can free it up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. Take the steel shaft off the wastegate level and try to open or close the gate. My bet is you have a stuck gate hanging open. If you know what PB Blaster or even better yet, Aerokroil is. Spray down the body and shaft area enough to get some into the area. Then very light taps with a hammer will break loose any stuck shaft in the exhaust housing. Mine stuck slightly open many years ago because I was passing coolant thru the cylinder liner for about 1 year. I took a big chance driving it that way too. Several times the engine filled a cylinder with coolant so bad I could not crank the engine till the coolant leaked past the rings. The coolant and water mix is what froze up the gate. These wastegates work off of boost pressure overcoming the spring pressure that keeps the gate closed. We can set the open pressure most what ever we want. That can that has the small hose connected to is has a spring in it. Boost pressure has to be built up enough to push it open which in turn opens the wastegate. Normal operation of the gate is closed and normal exhaust pressure also holds it closed

fordhorse

Reaction score
I got the actuator off and the lever moves freely and I can close it so light doesn't get through the wastegate. The actuator was holding it open does thatean that the actuator is bad and if it is where do I get one or can it be fixed?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try adjusting the wastegate rod? Maybe someone jacked with it prior to you owning the truck?

Maybe they can go bad but it's rare I'd say.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Banks has these cans available but. Try adjusting it before you purchase one. What you need to do is lengthen the rod so the can spring pressure holds the gate closed. Might also look at the can mounts to see if it has moved or been improperly installed by the previous owner.

fordhorse

Reaction score
I adjusted the actuator rod and its now holding the waste gate shut. Hopefully that fixed the problem, is the air pressure leaking out the oil lines of the turbo normal or does it have bad oil seals? If 10psi of air leaks then wouldnt 40psi of oil leak?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo doesn't use oil seals... it uses a spring loaded ring similar to a piston ring. Yes you will be able to push air past those rings. If the engine isn't burning quite a bit of oil and oil isn't pooling in the intake, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Check for play in/out and side/side on the shaft. To do so, gently grab the compressor wheel by hand and see how much play it has. It should have a slight amount of side to side and very little, if any, front to back.

Last edited: