Should I buy this?

J.Keith

Reaction score
The truck's a 2000 5 speed, slt 3.55's ,4x4 ,NO #53 block, new lp and injecton pump. 193,000 miles, $11,000. It's setting code p1693. What's this mean and how serious is it? Should I do it?
TIA.
Joe

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
P1693 is a companion code..... means there is another hidden code thrown in the other module (depending on the module where the 1693 code is).

Try the key on/off/on/off/on method to see if you can get any other code other than the 1693 to show up. If you cant, take it to a Autozone, friendly independent tech with his own computer, or the dealer to have the computer scanned and that hidden code found.

If you do go to autozone, be sure to check the number on the computer display yourself. I've seen some nimwits say this is code so and so, erase it, and say that the code is this problem (by looking it up in the wishful accurate codebook they have) Keep the code in the ECM! Can always erase it once the problem is found or later on if needed.

Hopefully the hidden code isnt 0216. That means injection pump timing failure and its indicative of the VP pump dying real soon.

Hope this helps.

Read your post again and realized it has a new injection pump put in..... possibility that the code was set and never erased, or the new pump got timed wrong. Need to see what you come up with though to make a definitive guess.

Last edited:

J.Keith

Reaction score
So would you buy it or should I wait for something with lower miles?
Also I noticed that the air filter was a little dirty. Maybe a screwed up MAP or IAT sensor??? Whatcha think?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
I would wait for something with lower miles if you want the 24 valve--- given the pump history on this one and the fact that it still has a code in it.

Otherwise my personal preferences are the 12-valves or the new 3rd Gen HCPR engine. Alot more reliable (both) and more bombability-power (12 valve). I have driven the 3rd gen engines and am quite impressed..... the '03s should be hitting the used market now.... just a thought.

Air filters mean nothing to me.... just so there is nothing but clean material on the engine intake side. I've worked locomotives, and have seen air filters jammed so full of dirt and black crap, yet clean on the intake sides.

Just my thoughts!

Last edited:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
I would wait for something with lower miles if you want the 24 valve--- given the pump history on this one and the fact that it still has a code in it.

Otherwise my personal preferences are the 12-valves or the new 3rd Gen HCPR engine. Alot more reliable (both) and more bombability-power (12 valve). I have driven the 3rd gen engines and am quite impressed..... the '03s should be hitting the used market now.... just a thought.

Air filters mean nothing to me.... just so there is nothing but clean material on the engine intake side. I've worked locomotives, and have seen air filters jammed so full of dirt and black crap, yet clean on the intake sides.

Just my thoughts!
i think the code should be looked into further, as for pump timing, it cant be off unless the pump itself is failing, the pump shaft on the 24v is keywayed...only goes on one way. i would buy it..even with the code and a pump failing, 11k is cheap..especially if its a clean truck.

scrappy

Reaction score
holtzer1 said:
i think the code should be looked into further, as for pump timing, it cant be off unless the pump itself is failing, the pump shaft on the 24v is keywayed...only goes on one way. i would buy it..even with the code and a pump failing, 11k is cheap..especially if its a clean truck.

if they used the old key with the new pump it will show a problem. the pump comes with a key and they must match.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
scrappy said:
if they used the old key with the new pump it will show a problem. the pump comes with a key and they must match.
i stand by what i said the first time...thats a good price...even with a code set. figure if it needs a pump...thats 1200-1500 bucks...still a good deal.

J.Keith

Reaction score
Oh yeah I should have told you, I did get the truck and already have done Autometers and a 4" exhaust.
I think they lied to me about the new Inj. pump but I figgured that I could replace that and still have a good deal.
I get an occasional dead pedal with a CEL and both a p0121 and p0216
So far I can live with it but if it get's much worse I'll have to replace it.
Over all I like it, It gets 19-20 mpg and drives great.
Now all I need is injectors, Edge comp, turbo, etc etc. ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have a bad accelerator position sensor, i'd get it fixed asap, mine threw that code p0121 and within 2 days i was idling to the nearest shop to get it fixed.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
code p0216- save for an i/p, thats an injector pump timing failure code. its on its last leg, and probably a very short one, you still got a good deal though, a good truck at a good price(even needing work)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin