Serpentine conversion...

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Im on to my next area of my 1994 factory turbo idi 7.3 swap into my 1990 f250 with 7.3 idi E4OD auto. 2wd.

Im getting parts gathered up to have most of what i need ready to go.

For you guys that have done this swap, will the 94 a/c compressor work ok? I notice my 1990 a/c system. Has one pressure switch i believe, the 94 has 2.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both. I think the V-belt system is more reliable. One seized accessory or failed idler on a serpentine system and you have no waterpump.
I've had that happen to me at 6PM 50 miles from home, when it was below freeing outside(idler bolt sheared). Not fun at all.

At least with the V-belts, all three have to fail in order to lose your waterpump. Driving without an alternator or power steering is a lot easier than driving without either, AND no water pump.

On the other hand, the serpentine system is a /little/ easier to work on - on my 93, I didn't need to remove any brackets to replace the water pump. The V-belt system requires taking a few extra bolts and pieces off to do that bit of work.

Counterpoint, though... V-belts don't squeal like serpentine belts do. At least not in the same manner.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
R134a systems require a high pressure switch. Whats wrong with the vbelts?

Nothing really wrong with the v belt setup, the 94 engine is all complete and everything, including idler, tensioner, alt. A/c compressor, and vacuum pump and the belt itself have been replaced and are almost brand new.

Truck was wrecked a few months after all that work. The stuff prolly dont have 2,000 miles on it. T-boned at a intersection.

I just figuerd id take advantage of the goodies. I wouldnt think getting rid of the external voltage reg. will be much of an issure, just dont know exactly how the a/c systems differs on both. 90 and 94.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both. I think the V-belt system is more reliable. One seized accessory or failed idler on a serpentine system and you have no waterpump.
I've had that happen to me at 6PM 50 miles from home, when it was below freeing outside(idler bolt sheared). Not fun at all.

At least with the V-belts, all three have to fail in order to lose your waterpump. Driving without an alternator or power steering is a lot easier than driving without either, AND no water pump.

On the other hand, the serpentine system is a /little/ easier to work on - on my 93, I didn't need to remove any brackets to replace the water pump. The V-belt system requires taking a few extra bolts and pieces off to do that bit of work.

Counterpoint, though... V-belts don't squeal like serpentine belts do. At least not in the same manner.
Thats why im keeping mine. Plus i just bought all 4 belts (made in usa) for $25. Took about 20 minutes to install them.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F#@& v-belts!
I love my serp systems.
I wont run v-belts ever again!
sure I keep another belt and tensioner in the cab,
and if it goes out, I will know quickly with powersteering and hydroboost brakes.
so the thought of "no water pump" is null and void.

the only time I hear my belt in the slightest is when I cold start it for a split second, or when I turn it off when cold.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
The way im reading it, the 1990 a/c system has 1 pressure switch that does an on off cycle, but the 1994 a/c does use the high and low switches.

Also, the 94 uses a different Evaporator, but i assume thats due to the dash design change from the 87-91 dashes.

Im hoping someone can shed some light on how they done this same conversion and kept the A/C. Thanks gents

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online