Selling off the ol dually :(

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's crap. I'm actually more impressed with dodge now, they still offer a 6 speed manual in their new rigs.

And sadly, i can't settle down into buying a house until I know for sure where work is going to keep me for good. I've been bouncing around quite a bit the last few years chasing that $$

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you get a manuel in the new dodge it comes with a detuned engine, by quite a bit i believe. the six speeds just cant handle the power of the new engines, so they quit offering them.

just to add
the only people i know with duramaxs, said they are great when running right, but they were not very reliable, that is only and example of two, but...

If it were me i would pick up a 6.0 cheap and build it up with the money you will save over buying an overpriced cummins just for the name. all the problems are known and can be fixed then you will have a bullet proof rig that can make a ton of power and you can even get them with a six speed!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting about the manual six speeds. Any links to back it up? Seems like the auto's would be the weaker link IMO. Heck, I've had nothing but problems with dodge designed automatics and have for a long time hated the whole concept of an auto.

I'm not looking for anything to build up anymore, just something clean and reliable :) So far the big three truck makers are all in the same ballpark for price wise, so they're all pretty overpriced. I can't see how some people justify $80000 trucks. But I guess them Polo players need something fancy to tow their ponies around, right?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the last new truck I bought was over 50k. I decided after paying it off that I would never pay that much for a vehicle again, I mean you can buy a decent house or some land around here for that much. So I went out and bought a 93 f-250 for a farm truck got a good deal on a new Subaru forester (cost under 20K new) to replace the wife's '07 suburban and another 93 F-250 as back up and am saving over $1000 bucks a month. The repair bill excuse of buying a new truck over old just doesn't hold up anymore, I could put in a rebuilt engine every year and still come out ahead.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting about the manual six speeds. Any links to back it up? Seems like the auto's would be the weaker link IMO. Heck, I've had nothing but problems with dodge designed automatics and have for a long time hated the whole concept of an auto.

I'm not looking for anything to build up anymore, just something clean and reliable :) So far the big three truck makers are all in the same ballpark for price wise, so they're all pretty overpriced. I can't see how some people justify $80000 trucks. But I guess them Polo players need something fancy to tow their ponies around, right?

"while the Cummins will have three distinct power outputs, each matched with a different transmission option. The manual six-speed transmission will have a 350/660 horsepower and torque peak; the 68RFE automatic transmission will have 370/800; and the all-new Aisin six-speed automatic (AS69RC) will have 385/850."
pulled from here http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/09/first-look-2013-ram-25003500-hd.html

my overpriced comment was directed more towards used trucks. i agree all new trucks are way overpriced. i just cant believe how many people make those kinds of payments. i priced out a new f-350 diesel just for fun. a few add ons not too many and with 10% down the payments were still almost $800 a month:eek:

I understand about not wanting to do anymore work. but all trucks are going to take some. and the newer the engine the less you can do yourself. most trucks these days even for minor things you have to take the cab off because they are so crammed full!!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I have toyed with the idea of selling all my old vehicles and buying a new truck. I dont know what the hell job everyone has that they can afford a 800 a month truck payment and still afford to put expensive diesel fuel in a new truck that cant beat the mileage of my old one. Whatever job it is, I need to find out!

About the only vehicle I can see making sense to buy financially that is newer would be a 99-03 superduty with the 7.3 and the zf6. All my powerstroking experience involves throwing money at overpriced injectors and such though so thats pretty irritating.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the money could be spent in a lot more places than on a vehicle for sure, and diesel prices ain't going to fall much lower anymore..I wish I was going to work on the rigs, I could afford to buy a few new trucks after that lol, but no, I work for a company that works along side the .gov so I bounce around from time to time. The money is no where near the rig pay, but being single and no kids, my money goes further than someone with a family, so i'm browsing options.