sea foam cleaning

1994IDI

Reaction score
hey guys,

I bought a bottle of sea foam today, and wanted to feed it into the engine via a vacuum hose from the brake booster, like I have done on gas engines. When I looked closer, it didn't look like there was a good vacuum hose to use on the brake booster. Any recommendations?

tractorman86

Reaction score
the vacuum hoses dont lead into the engine at all you have a belt driven vacuum pump, you will probably blow up your pump. you can run it in the fuel and get the same effect or if you are carefull slowley drip it into the intake plenum for that kind of effect but i would lean towards running a tank down to 1/4 tank then ad seafoam and a whole bottle of grey bottle powerservice.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wellllll... Heres the deal when you pour fuel such as sea foam directly into the intake.... The motor will run up way past the injection pump govener.... Why you ask??? Its because you are feeding a motor fuel without any throttle or govener to slow down the rpm. Another member did this same thing while he was standing up on the bumper leaning over the motor... :eek: He couldn't run fast enough from the motor reving up past the govener. As he was running and filling his overalls the motor finally came back down from the probably 4500 plus rpm.... Please don't pour any type of fuel directly into the intake manifold. You have no control of the rpm... This is not the kinda thing anybody wants to see on Utube either....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the fuel filter, empty it, fill it up with the seafoam, put it back on, and run the seafoam in the engine through the IP, will end up cleaning both IP and engine

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pull the fuel filter, empty it, fill it up with the seafoam, put it back on, and run the seafoam in the engine through the IP, will end up cleaning both IP and engine

I understand why you are doing this in this manner, but will Seafoam lubricate the IP and injectors properly?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I understand why you are doing this in this manner, but will Seafoam lubricate the IP and injectors properly?

I don't believe it would be in the IP, or the injectors, long enough to cause any harm. If we didn't have return lines, it would be a different story.

MMeier

Reaction score
Depending on the size of your tank, you may want to run 2 cans in a full tank of fuel.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Wellllll... Heres the deal when you pour fuel such as sea foam directly into the intake.... The motor will run up way past the injection pump govener.... Why you ask??? Its because you are feeding a motor fuel without any throttle or govener to slow down the rpm. Another member did this same thing while he was standing up on the bumper leaning over the motor... :eek: He couldn't run fast enough from the motor reving up past the govener. As he was running and filling his overalls the motor finally came back down from the probably 4500 plus rpm.... Please don't pour any type of fuel directly into the intake manifold. You have no control of the rpm... This is not the kinda thing anybody wants to see on Utube either....

that's why i said if you are carefull you can slowley drip, but as you said it is probably best not to try.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I used Sea Foam this winter, but I just added it to the tank and let it run through during normal driving.:dunno Like everyone else said... DON'T add it through the intake because that's just asking for trouble and/or injury.:fan: I believe @ 4,200 rpms, the valves "float" in these engines.:eek: