1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on the F-Superduty

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by SLittle, Jun 27, 2019.

1. robert alston

robert alston Registered User

mite be expensive but fun

2. robert alston

and still need the front axle

3. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

The front axle is almost a unicorn. There were no F SD factory 4x4. The ones that do exist were converted by Quigley. Read $$$. Only affordable way to get one is stumble onto an old power company or RR or government truck or parts. Or use a single wheel F350 Dana 60 with adaptors to fit the 10 lug FSD wheels.Fitting a transfer case to the back of the trans is a bolt up but eliminates the park brake. Using a divorced TC solves that but the park brake is the weakest link on the truck.

4. Garbage_Mechan

Garbage_Mechan Garbage Mechanic

This is why I mentioned earlier that after having a few of these in the past I would run F350 running gear. Remember the rear frame is narrow so only cab and chassis rear ends will fit. Another approach is to run the front and rear axles from a 99 to 04 F450 or550. Or better yet 05 and newer so you get the coil spring conversion, and increased turning radius. Parking brake is back in the rear axle so transfer case is no issue. Lastly if you desire a crew cab I would cut the frame under the cab and add the required amount then sleeve the frame in the area. Now the cab mounts line up. No fuel tank bs. Remember FSD and F 350 cab and chassis have narrow 34” frames in the rear. So the rear tank is special too

5. robert alston

i didn't realize that the f-superduty had a narrow frame out back someone mentioned that after I bought it oh well more custom work i like the challenge fsd is cool and i am going with this project once done i will have two trucks and a motor for my boat

6. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

Good. Keep us posted. After all the work, the end results will be that much sweeter.

7. robert alston

thats the way i see it

IDIBRONCO likes this.
  8. robert alston

hello
    have a question so as i have wrote before is that i am working on a f-superduty the one i have is equipped with 463 gears they don't make that ratio us gear would make a run of 100 of them for the dana 60 i just need one set so is any body considering a dana 60 f-sd front dana 60 swap

9. Selahdoor

Selahdoor How can I help you, or make you laugh, today? Supporting Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  10. steve phillips

steve phillips Registered User

marmon-herrington, in Louisville ky, converted f 450s to 4x4 in the years ford didn t make 4x4 f450. very expensive front axle parts ie: 400.00 tie rods. I put almost 300,000 miles on an f450 4x4 conversion , pretty much trouble free, but I wasn t buying parts company I worked for was. I would stay away from a converted f-450 unless I was going to replace axles with newer superduty or f-350 parts. Parts were hard to get 20+ years ago. We never broke a spring or frame that I knew about , and we had 10-12 at all times . Truck I had had a 5.13 gear in a dana 80. Used the closed knuckle front axle, ie like old jeeps, seals leaked a lot on these. Trucks would haul anything you could put in them, I used to haul a bed full of firewood in if I had to cut tree off line. Trucks weighed around 14,000 loaded. We had 1 gas with a 460 , you would have had to have an oil well to run it, if you owned it. Mine was a 96 model. When that 1 was completely worn out got a 99 model, definitely a downgrade from an obs body in my opinion. The 96 was the first Powerstroke I had any dealings with.

11. robert alston

hello there
    i was lookin for engine fan clutch replacement somewhere there was a discussion about using a air or electric one from a big truck can't seem to find any of the old discussions i know this aint the thread for this it is still about my f-superduty build just don't want to make anybody mad

12. robert alston

hello
    dont know if anybody reads this thread anymore cause i was wondering if anyone had pictures of the 10 lug adapters that were used for the f-superduty 4×4 conversion i one picture need to look at the back of one