Scattered the clutch

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK...so correct me if mis-informed but when doing the Lucky mod, are you guys "not" using a clutch disc made with built in dampening springs ;Really :dunno ...or simply re-installing the orig DMFW clutch disc?

In the SMFW swaps I have done, the disc becomes the shock absorber....:popcorn
geo-
i couldn't tell you what most guys are using for a disc. One thing for sure is the flywheel failure rate is unacceptably high in my book. I was pretty upset when I found my cracked bellhousing on my ZF just right after putting everything back together....I hate to have to experience a flywheel coming apart during a drive-cuss

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As it stands right now, I think the cost savings of the lucky mod makes it very attractive. The problem is, there is only 1 person who has done it sucessfully, and I am only aware of 1 other who has tried it and failed.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The single failure that you speak of was the aforementioned bolts shearing? Hardware is definitely not what it used to be, especially anything made offshore. I have read lots of testing done by ARP where they show their competition's foreign "high grade" fasteners just aren't what they claim they are.

sassyrel

Reaction score
For the time being, I've resureected the Beef from lawn ornament status to get me back into some functioning transportation. Well sort of cause she's got her issues too. Bad brake lines and an unfounded battery drain.-cuss

battery drain--remove the hot wire off the alt overnight--batt still up--and the alt checks out ok--the diode plate in the alt is bad--they can short to ground---go open---or reverse the current travel----as a mech--been there more than once!!!!!!!!!!

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
geo-
i couldn't tell you what most guys are using for a disc. One thing for sure is the flywheel failure rate is unacceptably high in my book. I was pretty upset when I found my cracked bellhousing on my ZF just right after putting everything back together....I hate to have to experience a flywheel coming apart during a drive-cuss

Been there, had that done to me :backoff -cuss

.......all too soon after dragging a 30k lb sled 250' :eek: :eek:

Calvin, How in their right minds :rolleyes: could Ferd/Navistar injunieerz reccomend such a weak product with a VERY short expected life span cookoo :dunno

Mel, I agree with you on the quality of psudo graded off shore fasteners :puke:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep On my first attempt I used the spring loaded clutch disc from LUK.

Just didn't use the correct nuts for the bolts.

What grade would be good then? "8"?

Btw this seems to be the problem in My vibration thread so maybe We could continue the discussion here?

I have about 25k miles on the smf and and clutch I got in a kit from the guys at luk. I can not hear any gear rollover noise at idle but when I release the clutch in 1st or 2nd (starting point) I can hear something but I think that is the ceramic clutch :puke: . I have My doubts about this clutch and I'm looking for a replacement for it using the same pressure plate, I think I'll give the guys at luk at call and get Me just the clutch and see if that makes any difference when towing and backing up. Btw the tranny shift ass good as always.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Go to your local Caterpillar dealer (CAT) and buy them there. CAT makes by far the strongest bolts and nuts ever!

We used 8's on our lucky mod (yea we're the people Mel's talking about) and the bolts sheared or the nuts sheared the threads out. We're not sure yet, we parked it until we can buy a new DMF.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since we're talking pros/cons of SMF/DMF/LuckyMod/LUK, and my name has been invoked at least once, I'd like to chime in.

I used the stock flywheel from my T-19, a pressure plate for the T-19, a clutch disk (with springs) for a ZF - all parts bought from AutoZone.

Everything has been working swimmingly. When I lug it down below 1000 RPMs or so, or when I'm compression braking, there is some gear rollover noise and vibration, but nothing I can't live with.

Here's the weird part. Whenever I'm compression braking to slow down, if I take a fairly sharp curve to the LEFT, the rollover noise and vibration through the tranny, stick, and floorboards gets MUCH, MUCH worse than when I'm compression braking while the truck is going straight OR turning right.

Now what the heck could cause THAT?!? I'm pretty well stumped on that one. The only thing I can think of is maybe the engine is rocking causing the turbo up-pipe or down-pipe to coming into contact with the seam at the front of the tranny tunnel. It is a pretty close fit - only about 1/4" gap or so....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since we're talking pros/cons of SMF/DMF/LuckyMod/LUK, and my name has been invoked at least once, I'd like to chime in.

I used the stock flywheel from my T-19, a pressure plate for the T-19, a clutch disk (with springs) for a ZF - all parts bought from AutoZone.

Everything has been working swimmingly. When I lug it down below 1000 RPMs or so, or when I'm compression braking, there is some gear rollover noise and vibration, but nothing I can't live with.

Here's the weird part. Whenever I'm compression braking to slow down, if I take a fairly sharp curve to the LEFT, the rollover noise and vibration through the tranny, stick, and floorboards gets MUCH, MUCH worse than when I'm compression braking while the truck is going straight OR turning right.

Now what the heck could cause THAT?!? I'm pretty well stumped on that one. The only thing I can think of is maybe the engine is rocking causing the turbo up-pipe or down-pipe to coming into contact with the seam at the front of the tranny tunnel. It is a pretty close fit - only about 1/4" gap or so....
time to start looking for movement on your crossmember....ie the rivets are loosened up and the second thing to look for is the wear on your transmission mount and motor mounts.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to your local Caterpillar dealer (CAT) and buy them there. CAT makes by far the strongest bolts and nuts ever!

We used 8's on our lucky mod (yea we're the people Mel's talking about) and the bolts sheared or the nuts sheared the threads out. We're not sure yet, we parked it until we can buy a new DMF.
I was at the house of the yellow worm the other day and darn near launched coffee all over the parts counter when I saw my bag-o-worm bolts had "made in Italy" printed on the front. I did ask for the full size operating version of the below item and they only laughed.....

Attachments

• 08-29-07_1236.jpg
    08-29-07_1236.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 16

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there, had that done to me :backoff -cuss

.......all too soon after dragging a 30k lb sled 250' :eek: :eek:

Calvin, How in their right minds :rolleyes: could Ferd/Navistar injunieerz reccomend such a weak product with a VERY short expected life span cookoo :dunno

Mel, I agree with you on the quality of psudo graded off shore fasteners :puke:
geo-
I couldn't tell you why but I can tell you that in ten years(890k mi) I had my f450 carrier in operation, I only went through four DMF's. Mind you, I didn't do tractor pulling with the truck but it saw no less than 10k in weight daily and frequently weighed in around 16-18k gross.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
geo-
I couldn't tell you why but I can tell you that in ten years(890k mi) I had my f450 carrier in operation, I only went through four DMF's. Mind you, I didn't do tractor pulling with the truck but it saw no less than 10k in weight daily and frequently weighed in around 16-18k gross.

Ummmm....you are sounding PRO DMFW....am reading you right :dunno :confused:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well I'm gonna stay DMF. Got the parts for the right price.;Sweet
Thanks Darrin.:hail :hail

After digging thru all of the reciepts from the PO's, I've came to the conclusion that the DMF in Goldie appears to be the original. Over 185k on it.:eek:

Still not sure how bad it got damaged yet as it looks like I'll be able to get into it this weekend after I finish up a 6.9/7.3 engine swap.

Money makers come first.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummmm....you are sounding PRO DMFW....am reading you right :dunno :confused:
geo-
I won't go as far as saying I am pro DMF. All I am saying is that the DMF isn't totally junk like most want to believe. I do have a supply of used DMF's from salvaged trucks, so it looks like I will be running them for a while until I get one with SMF and then I will give it a try. I am concerned about the rollover noise though, something has to be sacrificed somewhere and people do need to be aware of that before they make a choice. One more thing, I'm heavily involved with a trans rebuilder shop, so I do get to see the broken guts more frequently than most other people do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online