Running out of diesel at half a tank, used to be 1/4 tank, Front tank

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Three years ago I could run my front tank down to E-Empty, about two years ago I "ran out" of diesel at 1/4 tank, from reading here I was pretty sure it was a "shower head" problem and put it on my list of things to do (Its a long list).

Now in the last few months I have twice "ran out of diesel" at half a tank.

I am about ready to tackle this problem,

My question,

After the "shower head" falls off, does the rest of the "pick up tube" deteriorate?

After I drop the front tank what should I have on hand to deal with what I think is more than a "shower head" problem? From reading here most add on a piece of hose with a "V" in the end, just wondering if I have more of the usual issue here.

FWIW, it "runs out of diesel" going uphill first, if I can get over the hill and the sputtering it runs fine downhill and on level ground for just a bit but will run out of diesel very quickly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you put the sending unit assembly back in, plug it in under the truck and have someone watch the guage with the key in run(engine not running of course) while you hold the sending unit upright and move the float up and down. When the float rests against the stop on the bottom, the gauge should read empty. Your pickup tube will be lower than the stop, and this is your "reserve". Once the gauge stops bouncing around near empty, then you know the float is resting on the stop and you have just a few gallons of fuel left.

If your gauge does not act right, then your resistance box on the sending unit arm is probably wore out. Then you can figure out what to do next, new sending units for these trucks are like gold. We had a couple of threads on here about it, my idea was to buy a 460 unit and put a hose on in place of the electric fuel pump it had. It will have the fuel return fitting that you need the 460 used a return system also. Just make sure you get the correct unit, 87 dwn or 88-up, so the guage will read correctly.