RPM for best fuel mileage?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pic was snapped somewhere on 80 E/B between Sacto and Reno.
Hey, I was just out that way a few hours ago...picked up a super-yuppie at her weekend/family home near Auburn and took her to her commuter house in Santa Clara cookoo (apparently, she pays my company $275 one-way to take her between these two houses every week :shocked: )

Isn't that a bit slow for you? LOL

Back to the original topic, there are a few variables that determine mileage. I keep super-**** logs of my fuel economy, but I don't have a tach, so I'll just list how the vehicle's configured and the resulting mileage :)

My old '84 E-350 (long gone :cry: ) had a 3.54 rear end, a C6, and 31" BFG tires, and averaged 13 to 14 mpg in mostly freeway driving. The previous owner told me that he averaged 17 mpg with the original tires (he put the BFG's and new rims on the van a while before selling it to me), but I can't confirm that.

My '84 F-250 averaged between 14 and 15 mpg before I made any modifications. From the factory, it was a 6.9l/T-19 with 4.10 gears. After I added the turbo, the mileage went down to 12 to 13 (I think part of that was the grin factor and part was different injection timing). After swapping the T-19 for the ZF5 I have in the truck now, I'm averaging 17 mpg. If I do a straight freeway run and keep the speed to 55 mph, I can do 20.

These are all with an unloaded truck, weighing about 7K. I've really only done one extended haul with the truck (towing a 4K boat {plus however much the trailer weighed} to Washington State and back last August; this was after the turbo/tranny) that I could get reliable fuel economy numbers from, and averaged around 14 mpg, and obscene EGT numbers...me wants an intercooler!!

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Just for those who are wondering if you drove it like you stole it....
Yeah, numbers below 80 & 3K rpm on my speedo & tacko guages are all faded, sunbleached & unreadable except where the dial needles cover'em......even thru school zones.:D
Wife's rich. She got 3 jobs & buys my fuel:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
enough of my early morning witt.

Seriously, I get about 14-15 (8200 tare) unless I'm pulling something heavy. As far as the lower RPM's, if I'm pulling or working mine, anything below 2200RPM & it just sits there & smothers...lugs. Above 22K & it will pull on up & climb.
If I'm just running around empty, then it will perform somewhat in the lower RMP's
With my original engine I got consistently 18-22 below 65 cross country, but just keep it in a steady pull, not hammerdown.
With a trailer loaded heavy crosscrountry, (26-34K gross) I used to get11-13 & had all kinds of power.....but still had to keep RPM above 2200

With this engine now, I got all kinds power & boost....but sometimes I think the milage is....gallons/mile.....but remember, the rich wifey :rotflmao :rotflmao

Greg85

Reaction score
Well, I wish mine would even turn 2800, 55 is 1900 with 4.10's and 255-85-16's, But neither motor has ever been able to turn over 26-700. Dunno why.
Sounds like a int. medium duty injection pump.