Rough idle and smoke

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been noticing a pattern developing with my 93 F350 7.3 IDI turbo. If I start the truck up first thing in the morning and it is cold enough to turn on the cold advance on the IP, it will start up and idle perfectly with no smoke. However, as soon as it kicks off, it will start to miss and puff blue and gray smoke. Also, If I start the truck up if its been sitting for lets say an hour (so its not cold but wasnt just shut off) it will smoke gray and blue quite a bit. If the truck was sitting for less than an hour it will start and idle fine. What would cause these symptoms? Wheer should I look first? The truck has 117000 miles on it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that milage is on the IP and injectors, your due for a tune up.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Posted at 8:08 AM. Somebody needed help with his truck. "Rough idle and smoke". I saw the line 24 hours later, it had 15 visitors and one reply.
Mel answered two hours later (10:11 AM) with a question and a good advice. He was the only one but it was enough, Boggerted had one of the best advisers.
It reminded me of the good samaritan story. Few people passed the bleeding and beaten man. Just looked, kept going, they were too busy. One man stoped, the right kind of man, the one that cared.
This forum is awsome.
Thanks Mel,
Burt.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that milage is on the IP and injectors, your due for a tune up.

I just sat down to ask the same question , but my truck smiokes and miss's at any rpm, I have 129000 on it , 93 na . And thanks mel for all the advice you've given. I plan on picking up my pulling tractor in ohio in late july. my milage has dropped to about 5 miles per gallon

Titojeep

Reaction score
I agree with Angum. These guys helped me out when I aquired my truck. Ironically it had 198K on the factory pump, but injectors appeared to have been changed out at some point in the past. Regardless, installed a new pump and injectors, and WOW just like new again and the fuel milage picked up as well. Just a thought.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I agree its time for pump and injectors,

But being the cheapy i am i would sugjest that you advance the timing some and see if that helps likely it will for a little while and maybe buy you a little more time, its always worth a try, that way you could save up and buy you a pump and injectors,

I recomend Mel(AGNEM) for the pump;Sweet, he gets very good quality rebuilds, he offers the baby moose pump(stock rebuilt) or the moose pump(modified extra fuel:sly)

And Russ(Type4) for the injectors;Sweet;Sweet

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what would you all recommend as far as an ip and injector tune up? Although I would love to have a moose pump and misters cash is kinda tight now

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
So what would you all recommend as far as an ip and injector tune up? Although I would love to have a moose pump and misters cash is kinda tight now

Some people have had good luck out of pensicola diesel in florida, but its kinda hit and miss,

But if you buy pump from mel, and injectors from Russ then your got a garentee that it will work the first time;Sweet i got my injectors from russ and have loved every minute of it;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online