Rod through block!

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
About 9 months ago I got a 1988 F250 SC 4X4 7.3idi with 63,000mi on it. It sat for 10 years inside of my dads shop. I finaly got ahold of the guy and he just gave me the title and keys for it =). The guy paid rent and heat for the shop just to keep the truck there for 10yrs?? Anyways I pulled it out of the shop with a forklift and pulled to my shop. Found out that on the left side rear of the block, right by the oil cooler, a rod end is sticking through the block. The guy said he was just driving it and it locked up and made a big mess all over the road. He just asked my dad to rent space and just left it there ever since. I got another 7.3 at the machine shop now and I havnt pulled the old engine yet but whats your guys ideas on why this would have happend? Especially with the low miles, and it deffinatly only has that many miles too.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dropped valve is the most likely reason for such carnage. Either that, or he drastically overheated a cylinder with high EGT's and melted a piston. IN any case, it wasn't maintained properly. Maybe it was running on it's orginal oil. LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At the least it could have been a factory flaw in that rod that windowed the block. Or as posted above the previous owner ran the life out of it by running it out of oil or hydrolocked the engine somehow. Could have run the engine with a rod knock till it let go too. No telling why but pull it apart and have a look see.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is the same as Mel's.......... valve kissed the piston. Best way to know is to pull the head and see what you find. Not common with so few miles that's for sure. Bet she was beat on or neglected.

Heath

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the rod while engine is still in the truck:
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a pic of the truck =]:

tuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the rod while engine is still in the truck:

Here is a pic of the truck =]:
Looks like the same location of the hole I've got. It'll be interesting to see if we find the same results

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Heck, that is rebuildable, the rod only went through the pan. After you have it apart, you will probably figure out what went wrong and what can be salvaged.

My early bet is on a hydrolock. Anyone else care to guess?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Looks like the hole is through the oil pan but it did knock the base for the oil pan on the block side as well. Lots of rust on the oil pan.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Ya the body is good but the frame and everything else is pretty rusty because it was a plow truck and sat for 10 years without being washed

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these left on the windshield?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance