Rob is East Bound and Down,...

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Rob (6.9Oiler) just gave me a call to let me know how the trip was going.

For those who dont remember, here is his origional thread:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22800

Sounds like everything went well with the family gathering. He picked up the truck when he got there and ended up putting 500 miles on it over the weekend with no mishaps.

The truck is beautiful and he is real happy with it. He is headed south on 101 to Ventura back to Mikes house to pick up the parts. He also thinks that the timing may be retarded as the EGT'***** 850 to 900 while maintaining highway speeds, so he is going to retime it by ear. He is also going to check to see if he may have a brake dragging.

Tonight he is heading out highway 15 toward Salt Lake city, souds like he is planning on taking 70 across.

It sounds like he is shooting to be in the Ft Wayne area on Thursday evening and spending the night in a motel.

I would be interested in meeting him on Thursday depending on the timing of his trip, so if anyone else is interested well just watch his progress this week and go from there.

Thats the latest! Go Rob Go!! ;Sweet

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Going north may end up putting him in the frozen road sections. Another reason to go the southern I40 toute. Glad all is going well and leaving "tonite" better be after 8 or 9 O'clock. He will be right in the rush hour traffic thru about 40 miles of this trip. Thats thru 101 to 14 to the 210 and finally to the 15 where it will pickup for about 12 miles, then it slows down till you actually turn north on the 15 215 interchange. Then in about 7 miles the "hill" hits you.

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what's up guys. yep i just can't resist the trip through Colorado. i advanced the timing by ear and the egt's are definitely lower, and engine sound and throttle response is comparable to my old IDI. the brakes will be fine for the trip home.

Mike's neighbor let me get online so i could check in. so i'm on my way to Vegas;Really

thanks for all the advise and well wishes. i'll be in touch thru Darrin.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike's neighbor let me get online so i could check in. so i'm on my way to Vegas;Really

A long trip like that should afford you a quick pit stop in Vegas.

I hear they're giving so much money away there, you can't afford not to stop........................

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Don't wreck going through Vegas looking at all the sights. :rotflmao

I used to frequent Vegas all the time, living only 3 hours away, now it's old and boring to me. I'd rather be in the middle of nowhere.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
whoo hoo... fort wayne area... and Thursday is my day off... I'll keep this thread under my observation...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is great news! So glad he was able to "burn it in" before he had to head east. Wish I could time it for him.

I think if it were me, I'd have had to find a copy of "Damnation Alley" to watch, as a warm up for the trip. LOL

crossent

Reaction score
Rob put 500 miles on it before he headed back home. We loaded a pallet of goodies,bumped the timing,loaded the disc changer and hooked up his sirius radio and he was off.The family made him a batch of cookies to hold him over in traffic heading out of town. I will watch this post to see his progress.You can tell in the pic who the new owner and the old owner is.The one smiling is Rob.
Mike

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I must say that you have been very impressive through this process, getting the truck ready for the trip, changing the fluids etc, And now even seeing the pic that you have plastic wraped the palet of parts for the trip. It instilles a lot of confidence in the truck, as well as in you.

Being in the car buisness I have been on both ends of this transaction, and it can be pretty rare that it goes this well.

I am shure that you know by now that there probablly isn't a better home for that truck than Rob's. It is going into good hands!

Congrats!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, this truck has the spare wheel mounted on the tailgate? That's something I've always wanted to do on my old Chevy, then never cared about it with the 4x4 but now I kinda like to have one on this truck - how is the wheel mounted, does it use a Bronco carrier, or something else? Pics would be real nice, Mike, if you have some..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online