Road draft tube

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
all these instances are when a high pressure oil gets into the intake and acts like a injector in a way. With me running a 1" hose into intake there is no pressure and no residue in intake. On a truck equipped with a cdr there seems to always be quite a bit of oil in intake and pooling in the turbo.

........You are serious aren't you? :frustrate

For one, I don't know how that would be even mechanically possible to inject oil like you are describing unless you intentionally set up an oil injector that way. :eek:

Oh and yeah...because those old 80's Landrover 2.0L diesels ran some insane high pressure to start with! :rolleyes:

Look, stop for 5 seconds and read the description on even the dodge's run, you will notice that one of his oil o-rings in the turbo gave out and started feeding through the intake. That is what, 20-40 psi at best? And that is if it was a full open line flooding the thing, not just a torn seal letting some in.

You have put what 500 miles or less on your truck? I bet you if you pull that intake hat, you are gonna find oil everywhere. If these trucks can pull enough pressure to suck an air filter completely closed, I am confident that there is enough of a pull to siphon oil through that line under load.

Heck of a nice truck, but that is playing way too risky for my tastes. I had our Leyland 384 tractor sit idling while I hitched up a post to pull when a seal gave out from the front of the injection pump. Of course it started pulling oil through that seal and instantly snapped to redline. Its not a pleasant experience and I hope you never have it happen to you.

Last edited:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
How about extending the CDR inlet into the intake by another few inches to span the length of the intake hole and make the extension with numerous holes in it so the vapor is distributed evenly throughout the cylinders to eliminate the worry of only cylinders #7 & 8 burning all the vapor and running hotter.

Head gasket failure is my #1 concern with the CDR

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
How about extending the CDR inlet into the intake by another few inches to span the length of the intake hole and make the extension with numerous holes in it so the vapor is distributed evenly throughout the cylinders to eliminate the worry of only cylinders #7 & 8 burning all the vapor and running hotter.

Head gasket failure is my #1 concern with the CDR

I think I know what you are getting at...but I don't think these are prone to head gasket failure if you just keep the CDR clean...

Your options are fairly limited anyway utilizing the stock air cleaner without blocking off more of the intake...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The absolute best CDR setup is one that neither restricts, nor draws a vacuum on the crankcase vapor. To that end, the RDT must not vent into a closed space behind an air filter. That's a vacuum. Plain and simple. If you really want a workable solution that involves feeding it back to the intake, simply hold the hose external to the air filter, within an inch or so and let the crankcase vapors vent to atmosphere, where they will then be drawn in naturally by the flow of atmospheric presure.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wracking my brains trying to come up with an idea for my setup.

I have a old banks turbo with the CDR plumbed in to the big old banks air box. so oil is running through the turbo. not a big deal per banks manual.

BUT, I want to install an intercooler. Which means over time the intercooler will get coated with oil decreasing efficiency?

So, been trying to figure out what to do.

Hmm, if I have my intake/filter plumbed near driver's side battery, run 4" pipe down to bumper height, plumb CCV tube about halfway down the pipe with 90 degree connection, run catch can inline between crank case and 90 degree fitting... what do you think? will still have some atomized oil getting in to turbo/intercooler but the big stuff should get caught in catch can or during rise to air box. will also allow cool air in to turbo.

Attachments

• CCV design v1.gif
    CCV design v1.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 87

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now this sounds like a genuine idea! Has no ability to get restricted, if the can overflows it'll drip out of the pickup for the air filter, give road draft tube effect with none of the smoking!.. hhhhmmm now to see it in practice!