Return Line Question

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Dump some ATF in it or some filtered WMO and call it good. The fuel tank line will come from the tanks to the selector valve on the driver's frame rail. From there it runs along the driver's frame rail up to just by the brake booster through a water seperator (if still there). It will leave the water seperator and run down along the cross member under the engine and up to the lift pump. From the lift pump, it goes up to the IP, and then out to each injector. The injectors and IP has lines that connect into one line and run back to the tanks through the fuel selector valve.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Waste Motor Oil, just a little will turn all your fuel black, with a little work you can run these trucks off of pure filtered waste motor oil WMO. but you just need to get it running first.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I will take a picture of what the pump looks like, I think someone just recently replaced it because the housing that protects the pump has been removed

X2. There is no housing that protects the fuel pump. The mechanical fuel pump is on the passenger side of engine, next to the front cover. If you have a V-belt setup, it is behind the vacuum pump. Just follow the fuel pipe from the front of the fuel filter housing, down and it will lead you to it.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I found it late yesterday it was hiding, ok ANNOUNCEMENT NEW DISCOVERY: yesterday while checking my lines for leaks I decided to take a sample of Diesel out of my tank for some reason on my truck there is a fuel shut off valve/switch what I thought was on on the switch was actually off... so I am going to go try and crank it over

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
interesting, i wonder if that was put there to help prevent drain back and drawing air back into the system.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
what is WMO? and why would I put Automatic Transmission fluid in my fuel?

My truck runs a 50/50 mix of Waste Motor Oil and #2 Diesel when ever possible. Last time I checked my highway mileage, I got 17.4 mpg on my 50/50 mix, which means I actually went 34.8 miles on one gallon of diesel. ATF is thinner than oil, and will help lube and clean the fuel system. I have added about a 1/4 quart per tankful in all my IDIs up until I started running WMO. The USLD diesel that is available does not have the lube properties of the "old school" diesel due to the emissions standards. From what I've been told and found out through research, the ppm level of the fuel contains the particals the the oil in the fuel bonds to. Since newer fuel is less on the ppm level (USLD is 15 ppm), the partials needed for enough oil to be present in the fuel is lower, thus making it harder to get the lubrication in the fuel that our older trucks where designed to run on. I look at it like adding lead substitute or additives to unleaded gasoline so that gasoline engines designed to run on the old "regular" can perform right (Yes, I'm old enough that I remember when there was "Regular" (Leaded) and "Unleaded" gasoline at the pumps ... LOL).

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
ok here is my brand new orings and clamps, the good quality clamps

I only see 8 o-rings in the pic... Each injector has two o-rings, so you will need a total of 16 o-rings. First time I've seen those clamps used on the return lines. Those could be a PITA to crimp onto the lines with the caps in place and not end up breaking a fuel cap or causing a leak again. Just my opinion.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the right clamps! I wouldn't recommend them. Why not just get a return line kit from me or Typ4 and use what everybody else uses? Stay away from any fuel other than #2. You got WAY TOO MANY problems to even consider using that stuff right now. Once your on here posting, "hey my truck has been running great and trouble free for months now..." then you can consider it. :rolleyes:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those clamps are not made for plastic parts. they require a bit of force to seal and they dont clamp a complete circle until they are pinched completely.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, good thing I kept the old clamps, I will e-mail larry tonight and ask him if he will send me 8 more or-rings, and again it's not my fault that the stupid people at CITGO decided to market red diesel and white/ clear diesel, oh and I remember why I didn't buy a return kit, BECAUSE I HAVE NO MONEY AND THESE WERE FREE! :)

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get free hose too? I hope your not re-using the old stuff.