Return Line Question

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
x2 on Mel's post. With leaking return lines, I'd have to crank the engine for a bit for it to start. Sometimes it'd stay running and "sputter" for a few seconds, other times it'd rev up and die. Once it started and stayed running, there was no issues other than the GP spot on the front driver's side would fill up with fuel over time, and a little fuel would run down the back of the engine.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's like there is more air than fuel getting into the filter......, there is over a half of tank of fuel in it....

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What's the condition of your mechanical fuel pump? Might not hurt to hook up an electric pump just to see if that helps.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I will take a picture of what the pump looks like, I think someone just recently replaced it because the housing that protects the pump has been removed

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
unless i am missing something i have never seen a housing over the lift pump.........

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok here are some pictures, also if the pump is mechanicle then why is there power wires the go to it? well I believe when you were able to buy them brand new, ther ewas some sort of housing over the pump that protects it from any sort of damage

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be the injection pump, the lift pump is down on the pass side front of the block above the oil pan.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, now that i've seen what it looks like, I think the pump is still good because when the batteries start to die and it cranks slow I can hear the pump and it sounds like it is pumping a little air, by the way I think someone had either A: taken the water separator out B: bypassed it. where would that be located if it were on there?

Last edited:

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, it looks like they bypassed the fuel seperator with a crapy piece of copper to connect the two lines, I am going to disconnect one to see if maybe I can start a syphon to bleed some air out

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfiltered fuel!!!!! :eek:

Another place that 'could' be it would be the suction side of the mechanical pump. I could be sucking air. Granted, if it was on the discharge side, if it "leaked" enough to let air in, when it would be pumping, wouldn't fuel leak out from that crappy copper fitting or another line????

An electric pump is usually a very good way to get by a mechanical pump going bad or a small suction issue.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks I will go down tomorrow and take a look at the brass fitting on the lift pump...

thanks

again

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks I will go down tomorrow and take a look at the brass fitting on the lift pump...

thanks

again

Inspect the rest of the line back to the tank if you can. Never know if there is a small rub through somewhere.....

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok let me tell yall something if nayone shops at CITGO fuel station, yesterday when I went to CITGO in Watertown (S&S Market) I went to go to the diesel pump, filled my 2 Gallon diesel tank up, came home and put it in the truck, ok, so today when I was checking the line for holes and what not I syphoned some fuel out of the tank AND put it in a Mason Jar and guess what kind of diesel it was RED OFF ROAD DIESEL!!!!!!! CITGO is marketing off road diesel as street diesel!!! so tomorrow I am going to the fueling station getting my money back then calling the TDOT!!!! I don't want a ticket for over 1000$ and possibly loose my license....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online