Reman IP Pumps (besides moose)

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After shopping around locally and getting quotes for around $700 + core charge for a reman IP so now im looking online. I have heard mixed things from Pensicola so I'll be avoiding them, the Uhaul ebay pump seems like a good buy so I'm keeping that in mind but I need a pump sooner rather then later and they say up to two weeks for shipping. Oregon Fuel Injection also sells them, I have not heard any feedback from you guys on them, how are they? I'd love a baby moose but I'm assuming they are worth a decent chunk of change compared to a normal stock rebuild, not saying there not worth it because I'm sure they are I just dont know if I have that much cash to fork over, plus im sure its a longer turn around time.

Any other places I should be looking?

cheers,

Matt

Last edited:

Rayzor

Reaction score
I have the Oregon Pump and injectors on mine. 30,000 miles and no issues.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Honestly, I was in the same position. I PMed back and fourth with Mel about the baby moose, but in the end I deiced to save to save a few bucks and get a pensocola. I have been pissed as hell ever since. Had to send the pump back once, and than I had to turn the fuel down in order to get it to pass emissions. All and all the guy was VERY nice to deal with, but I would have rather had it down and out for a while and have a baby moose, than deal with this crap pump that I have now.....

my .02

PZ

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had a spare set of wheels I wouldnt mind being truckless for a while waiting for a baby moose but thats not really an option. Its gonna be hard enough waiting 10-14 days on a mail order pump.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I got to keep my core from with pesocola. You pay for the shipping, and I will send it to Mel for ya, as long as you ship me your old one....

PZ

Black dawg

Reaction score
I wonder what your getting for 700bucks, Im tired of 450 rebuilds that have worn head and rotors. Through my local rebuilder I priced one with a new h&r and it was like 900+.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what your getting for 700bucks, Im tired of 450 rebuilds that have worn head and rotors. Through my local rebuilder I priced one with a new h&r and it was like 900+.

I honestly couldn't tell you, both of the places I called are large reputable shops, Id hope for 700 your getting a good rebuild...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Honestly, I've bought reman pumps from almost everyone even the worst of the worst Diesel Care! I know guys sorry for the profanity. :D
The pump in my moms truck is from Midwest Fuel Injection, a top notch rebuilder, and even from them we had to return two pumps before getting one that worked well.
Being completely honest, I wouldn't ever buy anything except some form of moose pump now that I've had one and I haven't had any issues with it. They are expensive, but a quality rebuilt pump isn't cheap.

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

New head and rotors are not typically in the rebuild ... that's why they're ~$450 ... mechanic near me wanted nearly $1200 (installed) for a "properly" built IP that included new H&R.

Another mechanic insisted H&R weren't wear items and didn't need to be replaced, unless unusual circumstances.

Curious where this thread goes ... I'm in a similar boat ... can't be without my truck for 1+ month and don't want a $450 "cheap" rebuild.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anymore feedback from Oregon Fuel? Seems to be my better option at this point, just not sure about the quality i would be getting for $450.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's like this, if you get one of the economy rebuilds online, some of the steps that Mel's builder goes through will be omitted to keep the price low. Usually this is pretty acceptable and gets you a decent rebuild, think of the premium for the Moose or your local Stanadyne shop as being insurance that you won't have a failure down the line. Personally, with your truck that you seem to really love and have all these modifications on, you should probably suck it up and get a full on Moose Pump or a locally built pump that also is tweaked. It would be a shame to do all those mods to your truck and be stuck with stock fueling levels. Is your truck disabled as it sits now and your only ride therefore you're in a hurry? If that's the case then your options get more limited. I haven't really heard anything bad about OFI, they seem to be a little bit above the average internet pump in terms of the price point.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon fuel does good work, used them on all different types of pumps for years at Evergreen, I personally use Diesel Fuel Injection service in portland.

If I were you I would buy one of the Uhaul pumps on ebay, I got one and it looks like a quality rebuild, I looked up the company on the web, called them and it seemed they did good work. They had all the right answers to my questions.

Oh and the head and rotor usually dont need replacing but it does happen now and then, adds 600 to the cost of a rebuild.

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the steps that Mel's builder goes through will be omitted to keep the price low

What steps are these? I thought Mel's pumps were "tuned" and you're paying for the expertise and research?

For a straight rebuild I can't imagine a significant quality difference between builders ... they're using the same wholesale kit.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After shopping around locally and getting quotes for around $700 + core charge for a reman IP so now im looking online. I have heard mixed things from Pensicola so I'll be avoiding them, the Uhaul ebay pump seems like a good buy so I'm keeping that in mind but I need a pump sooner rather then later and they say up to two weeks for shipping. Oregon Fuel Injection also sells them, I have not heard any feedback from you guys on them, how are they? I'd love a baby moose but I'm assuming they are worth a decent chunk of change compared to a normal stock rebuild, not saying there not worth it because I'm sure they are I just dont know if I have that much cash to fork over, plus im sure its a longer turn around time.

Any other places I should be looking?

cheers,

Matt

Why not buy the ones listed as a pair, you get 2 for $400, from U-Haul, you would save $80. Don't know how long it would take to ship to Canada, but I got mine in 4-5 days. In one of my posts about the IP's I stated they were remaned by DieseLogic and a guy chimed in and said he did business with them and they do quality work, think he said he never had a problem with them.
Just checked. SORRY NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. Your SOL for these, Sorry

Last edited: