Rehashing an old topic: Crankcase ventilation with a turbo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An RDT is the best way to go all around. Basically crank case fumes were intended to be vented to atmosphere since the dawn of internal combustion. It's only the emissions requirements that have forced manufactures to adopt systems that range from simple to elaborate, many prone to failure and creating excessive cost. If you can get away with one, there is nothing better. I have one on all 3 of my rigs, and yes they vent fumes and noticeable vapor. I sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day with the Moosestang breathing on peoples little foreign cars like an angry draggon. It's highly satisfying to see some arogant SOB who changes lanes without a turn signal like he owns the highway in his BMW sit surrounded by a cloud of vapor that comes from such a lowly dreg of society such as I. Oh, he may not know where it's coming from, but I do. LOL It's guys like him who passed the laws requiring crankcase recirculation to start with. All part of their overall desire to control everybody else while doing whatever the hell they want to on their own. Hmmmm... seems two can play that game. An no, I rarely smell it myself, and the vent tube comes out near the steering box.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
can tell you for a fact that they will suck up a 2x4 and spit out big toothpicks and water at around 400+ gallons per minute.
Yeah, and you can turn an innertube completely wrong side out....sucked thru the valve stem with one of those tube deflaters thingies.....so I been told by those in the know.:eek: :eek:
I myself can't prove it. I always stopped when I started seeing that whiteish inside part of the tube insides poking thru the stem.....
And I was always scared I was gonna suck something outa there I'd have to fight off with a hammer & run from.....:D :D:D

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
big ole 1" hose?

My first thought is to run a 1" hose to wherever the exaust tip is. Not into the exhaust but right by the outlet. Anything coming out will just "seem" to be coming from the exhaust.

My second thought is to rig a small emisions A.I.R. pump with the "in" piped to the crankcase and the out piped to the exhaust. The positive effect is nice vacuum in the crankcase. The vacuum actually helps the ring seat and also keeps things cleaner inside the engine.

I am new to the forum so hi everyone!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i still find my setup works fine.
I welded a 3/4inch elbow to the timing cover plate and ran it to the cdr.

no oil usage in 5,000miles (between oil changes)

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
i still find my setup works fine.
I welded a 3/4inch elbow to the timing cover plate and ran it to the cdr.

no oil usage in 5,000miles (between oil changes)

What exactly does that do? It sounds like the crankcase air is coming from the crankcase via the valve cover and back into the crankcase via the filler neck. I'm assuming theres more to this. :dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drew your truck is still really tight, not a lot of blowby that I could see anyway when I visited you guys. Mine and a lot of others have a fair to excessive amount of blowby. I started this ancient topic and here's what I did do. I bough the Banks timing gear adapter and ran a 1" vinyl hose as a RDT but the blowby was really very noticeable and I could definitely smell it in the cab. I replumbed the CDR valve, that led to a lot of trouble so I bought the CDR from a 6.2/6.5 which can be mounted sideways unlike the Ford unit, added a couple hoses and grommets and plugged that into the CDR spot on the ATS 088 square box intake. I have a lot of blowby and probably a good bit more since I started this topic. It still uses the same amount of oil as then or less and no oil smoke at least not most of the time. I haven't seen a lot of oil in my turbo inlet or the air box or air filter and no oil leaks other than the usual seepage from the valve covers and various and sundry places on the engine, just slow if any at all not a seal leak from too much crankcase pressure by any means.

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I understand correctly the oil presence (in air box, filter, intake, turbo, etc) from the stock CDR setup is merely a nuisance other than that it creates the head gasket problems, which is only with the N/A's??

I have been trying to decide between buying all new stuff for my factory turbo CDR setup or getting Banks timing cover part and running 1" RDT....

If the oil presence is harmless I may just rebuild CDR setup rather than go down the RDT road.....

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ummm JD, my truck is good, you didn't notice blowby because it was going into the intake.
and I have a homebuilt banks adapter, so why buy one?
I wire welded it without a problem.... I was worried I'd warp the plate, but never a problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

dieseldirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait so you have a fitting welded into timing cover with a hose connected to it going straight into the intake?

I thought you either needed to go crankcase vent hole to cdr to intake OR crankcase vent hole straight to atmosphere...?

ummm JD, my truck is good, you didn't notice blowby because it was going into the intake.
and I have a homebuilt banks adapter, so why buy one?
I wire welded it without a problem.... I was worried I'd warp the plate, but never a problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
it goes to the cdr, which is connected to the stock location on the ATS 088 filter box.
cost me a 3/4inch elbow and some heater hose that I had laying around. ohh and some welding wire.

this would work for any 7.3, 6.9's got that darn filler neck there, so thats a bust.
Anyway, like I said nearly no oil leakage or usage.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guy i just ditched my banks ram air and made my own tymar intak of sorts. ran some 1" heater hose up and over the altenator and then down in front ot the crossmember where my panhard bar attaches. drove to church today and the thing had a puddle of oil under it later.....and i mean puddle. not just some drips out of the tube. this is coming out somewhere and dripping off the started and the crossover pipe.

Is it pressurizing the motor? of what is the deal. It did not do this before??