Rehashing an old topic: Crankcase ventilation with a turbo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. If Ken ever gets my turbo back to me I will be adding that to my rig pretty soon. Here's my dilemma. I had planned on adding a racor CCV, but from what everybody here is saying, perhaps that's a quick route to a lot of headaches(oil leaks etc.) So, what I was going to ask is am I better off with a straight RDT or the stock CDR. My biggest concern with a RDT would be am I going to smell a lot of diesel fumes in my cab with it? It is a great option, especially since I have much less blowby at the moment. I'm not that worried about the tree hugger factor, or that I would get pulled. So what do you all think

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDT can be routed out the back of the truck with a long hose if necessary or filtered too.
Gonna do that on the PSD when I put her back in the truck.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Check these guys out. http://www.walkerairsep.com/
They don't make anything for our application, but they do for the Cummins 5.9. I talked to them several months ago and they would be happy to fab something up for the 6.9/7.3 if given some measurements. Problem is we have so many different variations on turbo designs that it's not a "one size fits all". They are kinda pricey too. I would probably take a 5.9 kit and modify it.

Tom

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW that AIRSEP is gonna have to save alot of the "EXPENSIVE" oil and reclaimed combustible gasses to pay for itself...Scares me when a company brags about the one for "under $500".....I can buy alot of heater hose, hose clamps, paint cans and steel or bronze wool for $500

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
WOW that AIRSEP is gonna have to save alot of the "EXPENSIVE" oil and reclaimed combustible gasses to pay for itself...Scares me when a company brags about the one for "under $500".....I can buy alot of heater hose, hose clamps, paint cans and steel or bronze wool for $500

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I wasn't kidding when I said they were pricey.LOL

Tom

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Kit looks like a lot of their kits are for big rigs or rich guys with yachts. Money is less of an object(if its one at all in these apps.) Mostly I am concerend about too much backpressure on teh crankcase and the fumes, which arent too offensive to me most of teh time. I probably wouldn't be bothered by it unless teh engine split a piston or was extremely worn out. Sopme of my passengers might be more bothered though.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I wasn't kidding when I said they were pricey.LOL

I'll give them this, it is a very nice looking product and probably well worth it on big fleet engines where they could pay for themselves in a few years, or for someone who just has to have the best of everything for the cool points.

Me, I just want my truck to go down the road and get me where I'm going......I figure one trucks a Lariat and the others a Lariat LE with quad captains chairs so I don't need the extra cool points like the Dodge/Cummins crowd with the ugly trucks:rotflmao :hail :rotflmao ;Poke

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude...a Ford diesel, whether its an IDI, a PSD, or "other" is cool enough. What's not cool are those leaks like Reklund and The Warden had. I really want to do what's good for the truck here and I think with the less amount of blowby lately its pretty workable...I'm really not worried about oil recovery, just minimizing emissions and the odor in teh cab.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Dude...a Ford diesel, whether its an IDI, a PSD, or "other" is cool enough. What's not cool are those leaks like Reklund and The Warden had. I really want to do what's good for the truck here and I think with the less amount of blowby lately its pretty workable...I'm really not worried about oil recovery, just minimizing emissions and the odor in teh cab.

That's my thinking as well. Control case pressure and minimize emissions. I'm not big on smoke coming from under the cab. Unless there's a lot of blowby, which I don't have on my trucks, oil recover isn't that important at this point either. Whenever I get a chance to build a new engine, I'm considering experimenting with one of the Walker units.

Tom

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I haven't seen anyone do yet is a Racor CCV dumping into the exhaust stream. when I get some of my work backlog out of the way, the air filter and CDR setup is getting a major overhaul. guess I'll be the "labrodent" for this one.:D

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
***Gale Banks Part Numbers***
PN 94042-00 IP gear cover adaptor, for making a road draft tube that dumps back into the engine. cookoo OkieGringo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I haven't seen anyone do yet is a Racor CCV dumping into the exhaust stream. when I get some of my work backlog out of the way, the air filter and CDR setup is getting a major overhaul. guess I'll be the "labrodent" for this one.:D
Depending on his results and my bank account, I'm probably going to end up going a similar route to what towcat's talking about here. FWIW, from what I can tell, if you're going to do an RDT, the best thing's to put it in the exhaust. With the venturi effect, the exhaust ends up pulling the crankcase gases out (leaving you with neutral or maybe even slightly negative pressure), and the tailpipe's about as far away from the cab as you can get LOL Also, the velocity of the exhaust gases MIGHT carry the blowby a bit further away from the truck than a straight RDT would (with any RDT, the blowby comes out at a relatively low velocity, so it ends up lingering around).

On my setup (not the breathing oil cap which lead to my Exxon Valdez impression), I have the Banks adapter with a hose running basically to the back of the cab. Depending on the way the wind's blowing when I'm at a stop, I can get a whiff of the stuff, and I do regularly get the "Your truck's on fire!!" look from people :rolleyes:

Personally, while I'm also worried about legal concerns, I really can't stand the smell of crankcase blowby, so I want it as far away from the cab as possible! I seriously considered just putting the CDR valve back on, but I really don't like the idea of an oily intake. :(

My truck's slowly becoming a pleasant vehicle to drive...and this is one of many steps in that process. She serves as a work truck, but spends most of her life on the highway...may as well be comfortable, right? :)

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised I havn't seen people try these systems that tie into the exhaust from Moroso, Mr Gasket & Summit racing on these trucks. Complete kits with weld in adapters, checkvalves and valve cover caps.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+-115780&D=-115780

I have a set, actually have two sets, but in talking with the techs at summit, they are concerned about the amount of oil going into the exhaust. These kits are made for open headers. That being said, I have started to make a can like towcat has talked about. My thought being the same, if there is little or no oil getting to the exhaust, then there is no problem. As far as recovery, I will probably just put a drain on it. I have valve covers leaking like the Valdez, yet I don't even use a quart of oil through my 3000 mile oil change. I want to throw a set of valve cover gaskets on it and then go from there. I am about half tempted to use a banks style adapter on the front and "T" it to each side of the exhaust. If I had the time, I would make a valve cover adapter for each side as I think that would be the way to go.