Refurbish Battery cables

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So, my cables are oem from 86. The plastic is all cracked and much of it is starting to flake off. Is there a way to clean and recoat them or a long piece of heatshrink that I can purchase?

I mean, that is a good deal of copper that has to be thrown out if you have to replace only. I tried to find replacements from the custom battery cable guys but their link shows they are out of almost everything.

SWS

gatorman21218

Reaction score
2 years ago I had the same problem and I wrapped my cables up real good with some of that wide (2 in) electrical tape. A month ago it almost burnt down my truck because the tape chaffed and started welding and melting. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39034

So yes it can be done but just be careful that it doesnt rub anywhere or peel off because it can do some serious damage. I would vote for making your own cables. I did it it aint hard and you know its done right and wont chaff.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my cables are oem from 86. The plastic is all cracked and much of it is starting to flake off. Is there a way to clean and recoat them or a long piece of heatshrink that I can purchase?

I mean, that is a good deal of copper that has to be thrown out if you have to replace only. I tried to find replacements from the custom battery cable guys but their link shows they are out of almost everything.

SWS

Harbor Freight has some real good heat-shrink that comes in four-foot lengths.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-heat-shrink-wire-wrap-assortment-9639.html

You get five sizes in the package, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1-inch; each piece four-foot long.

Usually about $4.99 per package; often on sale for $2.49

Two layers of that over your old insulation should do the trick.

After you get them covered in the heat-shrink, cover them with split plastic "wire-loom" for good looks and more protection. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, in any area where abrasion or sharp edges might be a problem, zip-tie a length of split heater-hose over the cable in that area. ;Sweet

DragRag

Reaction score
If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling them either put on a nice used set or new ones. New ones will last a decade or more, used, will last a while depending of course. Not worth the aggravation on trying to rig these types of things.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first clean it off, i cleaned my stock wiring with terminal cleaner, wire brushes, and wire wheels. then heat shrink and double shrink the wire. for added safetly add wire loom.

send it to me and I'll do it for ya for real cheap :sly

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth the aggravation on trying to rig these types of things.

Oft times, a poor boy such as I must do things somewhat different to what those more fortunate are able to do.

When one is making ten-bucks an hour, maybe he can't justify spending three hours doing a cheap fix.

But, when one is maybe making six-bucks an hour or less, and probably not getting many hours at that, going the cheap route can make the difference between getting it done or the truck just sitting and deteriorating further. ;Really

DragRag

Reaction score
Oft times, a poor boy such as I must do things somewhat different to what those more fortunate are able to do.

When one is making ten-bucks an hour, maybe he can't justify spending three hours doing a cheap fix.

But, when one is maybe making six-bucks an hour or less, and probably not getting many hours at that, going the cheap route can make the difference between getting it done or the truck just sitting and deteriorating further. ;Really

Get a nice used set at a junk yard then I guess. I have picked up many free one from junk trucks that are near new for dirt cheap to free.

DragRag

Reaction score

BTW, who makes $6 these days, isn't minimum wage more then that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin