Recommendation for injectors

Black dawg

Reaction score
That steering wheel cracked me up. I would heavily dose some diesel kleen for a tank or two and see if it helps.

cason234

Reaction score
Wow, this is great stuff - thanks guys. This morning, I followed the recommendations and tapped the accelerator while waiting for the glow plugs.... worked exactly as predicted..... it activated high idle..... so simple and something I never knew about these IDI's - great discovery (and it sounded a little more 'certain' when I hit the starter).

I'm going to follow some of the recommended advice regarding attempting to diagnose the injectors prior to replacing them. In a previous post, I indicated that it sounded like a 'chuff', to which someone responded that is more of an exhaust related sound. Perhaps I'm being more accurate to describe it as a ticking sound..... and it only happens at higher RPM..... I suppose it could be a lifter. However, before I get to that stage, I'm going to treat with ATF / Diesel Kleen / etc. I'll report back to you all.

Thanks again!

Regarding the steering wheel, I know it's not everybody's thing, but I love it. I've had one of those 280MM Momo's in many of my vehicles. The one in this video is a 250mm MOMO I bought on Ebay. I just removed it from my blue truck, and replaced with a 280mm one almost identical, and I'm putting that little 250mm into my Miata.

Gotta love tinkering with older equipment!

Cheers

cason234

Reaction score
Thanks for checking back IDI Bronco - it ran great! I'd say it already starts well, but with high idle set, it seemed to 'jump to life' more quickly than without it! Funny... I flipped my ignition switch on, and tapped the throttle, and then I figured I'd let the glow plugs cycle one more time. When I turned the ignition off, I could feel the throttle 'pop back' to its standard setting. I then initiated the glow plug cycle again, tapped the throttle, and as predicted, it set itself again, and she jumped to life immediately (hadn't run for 4 days, but it doesn't seem to make it any harder to start (even after 3 weeks of not running)). I'll make a cold start video again soon, and post it to show how nicely it starts. Cheers

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Thanks for checking back IDI Bronco - it ran great! I'd say it already starts well, but with high idle set, it seemed to 'jump to life' more quickly than without it! Funny... I flipped my ignition switch on, and tapped the throttle, and then I figured I'd let the glow plugs cycle one more time. When I turned the ignition off, I could feel the throttle 'pop back' to its standard setting. I then initiated the glow plug cycle again, tapped the throttle, and as predicted, it set itself again, and she jumped to life immediately (hadn't run for 4 days, but it doesn't seem to make it any harder to start (even after 3 weeks of not running)). I'll make a cold start video again soon, and post it to show how nicely it starts. Cheers
The plunger on the solenoid retracts back in when the solenoid loses power. If you do more than one glow plug cycle, don't bother to set it until you're on the last one (assuming that you don't have a manual control on the glow plugs). You can sure feel it on the throttle pedal when it retracts, you're right. If, for some reason, you're in a hurry and can't wait until the high idle kicks off to drive it (not recommended but I have being easy on the throttle), you can even feel when it kicks off then.

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carson, I was having trouble with my idi after I had my ip rebuilt and the injectors reset. It had set over a year and I cleaned all the fuel out and changed the filters frist. It ran great at first but then I had a miss at speed and I pulled the injectors and fond one sticking, it was cleaned and it ran better but still had a miss, so I ran some hot shot secret diesel extreme in it and then I ran some mmo and it runs better than it has in years. Good luck.

cason234

Reaction score
Thanks gents! I'm going to run the magical elixir through the fuel system this weekend, and see how things turn out. I'll report back.

cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online