Recomend me a steering damper kit

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck details in sig, Has a swaybar. Something basic, Nothing too expensive.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the aftermarket kits I've seen have a rather flimsy bracket for attaching the damper to the frame rail. Also, I generally dislike stud-end dampers, 2wd steering linkage moves way too much for those. What I did for my truck (also 2wd) was to raid junkyards on semi-regular basis till I found an OBS 2wd dually that had a factory damper - damper itself was shot, but it was its brackets that I was really after. You'll have to drill 2 holes in the bottom flange of your passenger side frame rail, no big deal. Then the other bracket goes on the main steering link (the one that runs from the pitman arm to the passenger-side front wheel), pretty much immediately to the right of the spot where the driver-side wheel linkage hooks up to it. Then you buy a new damper alone from Rockauto, cost for a Monroe one is about $20. I've had mine for several years now, I tend to drive faster on unimproved roads than I do on pavement, and the damper made a world of difference for that. Hardly noticeable on pavement where there's usually nothing attempting to jerk your wheels.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, My front end is in great shape.. Not trying to cure any problems just wanna see if it makes it feel even better.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aye, that's my reasoning for going w/ the dual dampers as well - single is decent, but I think there is room for improvement. Again, you'll mostly notice the damper on rough roads at speed, but if you try to spin the steering wheel real fast during low-speed maneuvers in a parking lot or something you may feel its effect as well.

Oh, look at ambulance and delivery vans as well, they usually have nice damper setups very similar to those used by trucks, may be adaptable for your truck as well.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Still interested in looking at kits if anyone has any recommendations as junkyard parts can be hard to find at times around here.